Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Lily Linton checked her watch after tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear.

7:30 pm

She still had 30 minutes to compose herself. After that embarrassing moment when Mr Ambrose caught her lying on the floor, she couldn't focus straight. She had never been so humiliated. It was a good thing that he hadn't fired her on the spot.

And that was something.

Mr Ambrose usually fired employees who didn't focus on their work, employees who wasted his time and employees who weren't faithful to him. So far, there were times he caught Lily not focusing on my task and, definitely, wasting his time.

At least she's loyal. Unlike Simmons.

Then a memory replayed itself to her. Something Mr Ambrose said.

Next time, be careful.

She never pegged her employer as someone caring. Or as caring as he could be.

As far as Lily knew, when things don't go his way... let's just say that someone would lose a job.

Mr Rikkard Ambrose is definitely a mysterious man. And he probably did some... illegal things out of principle. But even with that said, Lily wouldn't leave this job. The scary thing is she couldn't fathom the reason why.

A knock resounded from the door facing the hallway.

"Come in." Lily called out.

The familiar face of Mr Stone peeked from it. His smile broadened when he saw me. "Ms Linton. Mr Ambrose is waiting for you downstairs."

"What? Really?" Lily quickly glanced at her watch that read quarter to seven o'clock.

"I'm afraid so. Please do hurry up. He is getting impatient."

Her employer was definitely obsessed with punctuality.

Grabbing her bag and clip board, she darted down the stairs barely tripping twice. It was a good thing her boss required her to wear pants instead of a pencil skirt. Being his secretary required agility.

"Mr Ambrose, sir." She said as she stood in front of him, panting. "I'm here."

"I noticed that." He jerked his head towards the sleek, black car behind him. "Get in the backseat. You've wasted my time alraedy."

"Then I'm surprised I'm still working for you." Lily blurted out.

The cold silence that followed after made her realize her mistake. Without hesitation, she ran to the car and got in at the backseat. Karim who was going to drive, looked at her with annoyance.

He totally didn't like her.

Not long after, Mr Ambrose got in the passenger's seat and soon enough, they set off towards their 8 pm meeting.

***

"Is it a deal then, Mr Ambrose?" Mr Maxfeild asked while raising an inquisitive brow slightly. "You'll buy the franchise of my factory?"

"Indeed."

Both the men stood up and shook hands. Lily also stood up and stayed at Mr Ambrose's side.

"I'm glad you agreed with this." He smiled tightly before turning his gaze on Lily. "And you have quite a beauty for a secretary."

His comment made Lily shift on her feet. Deciding that it's best to not ruin her employer's image, she smiles. "Why, thank you, Mr Maxfeild."

Mr Ambrose is with me. Nothing bad will happen, she assured herself.

Lily felt the cold gaze of her boss shift from Mr Maxfeild to her. It was drilling holes, trying to send a message, but unfortunately, she can't comprehend it.

Mr Maxfeild smiled and looked at Mr Ambrose. "You two. Join me for a drink. Let's celebrate!"

"No, thanks, Mr Maxfeild. Me and my secretary still have some things to do-" Mr Ambrose sentence was cut off by the laughter of the other man.

"Important things? Really, Ambrose? I thought you were better than that." Mr Maxfeild continued laughing. "That's so low of you. Dating your secretary and all that."

"Mr Maxfeild." Lily started. "We are not-"

"Oh, please. It would be very scandalous if word got out. That would ruin your reputation, Mr Ambrose. Do you want that?"

Mr Ambrose gritted his teeth. He knew what the man was trying to do.

"Most definitely not." He answered curtly.

"Well then, have a drink with me. And no one will find out."

Or I could just kill you, Mr Ambrose thought to himself, Then no one would find out.

But as if Maxfeild read his mind, he started laughing again. "I know what you're thinking Ambrose. I know what men like you do. So if you think you can kill me without the authorities pointing fingers at you, you're wrong."

Mr Ambrose felt the curious gaze of Lily drilling at the side of his face.

She didn't know anything about the dark side of his business. He did not open that up to her unlike the previous private secretaries he had - who were males. Was he really keeping things from her just because she was female? And did the fact that he wasn't used to the company of females affect that too?

Mr Ambrose finally made up his mind.

"Fine then, Mr Maxfeild. We'll celebrate."

At that, the man smiled. "Good. Let me serve you two."

As he got out of his office, Mr Ambrose immediately turned to Lily. "Ms Linton. Don't leave my side. And you must have to drink what he will give you."

"What if it was spiked, sir?"

"I'm here. And Karim can hear our conversations. I had him call reinforcements already."

Lily's eyes widened. "Reinforcements?"

"Yes. This man is a rake. A sex maniac. I have enough physical evidence to prove that."

Lily almost nodded but caught herself. "How come you know all this stuff?"

She was replied with silence.

"I knew there were dangers to this job. But I never thought it would be this kind of trouble, one that could cost your life or dignity." Lily continued as she faced away from her employer.

A thought shot through Mr Ambrose's mind. What if this was Lily wanting to leave already? The idea shouldn't have terrified him, but it did - at least, a little.

"But..." Lily interrupted his thoughts. "I think it's kinda cool."

She noticed her employer's forehead almost creased at the absurdity of her statement. He had the right to. Who would think dying was cool? Suicidal people, obviously. But not the private secretary of one of the richest man in England.

Before anyone could say another word, the door of the office opened and in came Mr Maxfeild, holding a tray with a bottle of wine and 3 glasses filled with its contents already.