Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The more steps she took towards the office, the more Lily seemed to get nervous.

It’s just a bloody job, she chided herself. You can do this.

The man knocked on Sir Dalgliesh’s door. A few muffled voices were heard before it was opened by another man in tuxedo followed by Mr Scrawny.

Simmons waved at whoever was in the office that I was about to enter. “Thank you very much, sir.”

“You’re welcome.” The voice sounded melodious in Lily’s ears. She had never heard such a beautiful voice before. “Send me a postcard from New York!”

The man who accompanied her to this office cleared his throat and called out to Sir Dalgliesh. “Lillian Linton is here, sir.”

“Let her come in.”

And that’s all it took for her to plunge into the luxurious office of her (soon-to-be, hopefully) boss. There was gold - everywhere! He was stinking rich.

“Have a seat, Ms Linton.”

Realizing that she had been gawking for too long, she immediately pried her eyes away from the golden chandelier that hung from the ceiling and took a seat in front of Sir Dalgliesh’s desk.

She then looked up to take in his features. He had golden locks of hair, a hawk-like nose and steely blue eyes. He could pass as your typical prince charming.

But he wasn’t Lily’s type. Which, by the way, was a good thing so that she could act professional like she was supposed to - if she ever got the job of being his private secretary.

Still, Daniel Eugene Dalgliesh is a handsome man.

Lily had researched about him and his company. Apparently he had been born rich, and as the years succeeded, he became richer and richer. He owned many factories that produced high-quality materials for the good citizens of Great Britain.

Now that’s what you call business.

“Tell me about yourself.” He started.

It took Lily a few seconds to catch on to what he was saying. “Well…”

And she started babbling on about who she is. Specifically her name, address, age and where she graduated and at what course. And since she wanted to impress the boss and get the job of being his private secretary, she had to lift herself up and state her achievements and talents.

As she finished, she heard Sir Dalgliesh hum. And this was the most interactive response she got since her past job interviews. Most of the people interviewing her were just not interested to hear what she had to say, so they don’t react that much.

But this, however, it was if he was actually considering her to be a potential candidate. This made Lily’s confidence rise a little bit - no matter how it was too much to hope for.

“What is your greatest strength?”

And before Lily could stop the words flying from her mouth, she replied “Being a woman.”

This caused Sir Dalgliesh to raise an inquisitive brow. “Can you explain your answer?”

Without missing a heartbeat, Lily started talking. “Women are capable of multi-tasking. It has also been proven by science already. It is because of the motherly instincts that make us that way. It’s like we have been hardwired to that specific type of action.”

“Do you think your strength as a woman would be able to help you in this job?”

Was this guy seriously challenging her?

Lily, you’re in a job interview. Remember that.

“Yes.” She then continued. “If women are more capable in multitasking, then this should be able to help me in this job. In what way? I could do many things in a minimum time span, therefore saving you your time. And I would have no problem in time management. I’m pretty good at it.”

He nodded before firing me another question. “Do you work well with other people?”

“Yes, sir. It establishes my sense of teamwork and responsibility.”

Codswallop! You hate people.

“What is your working style?”

“I prefer putting things into specific order, papers in specific folders-”

“Do you have OCD?” he suddenly asked which caught Lily off guard for a moment.

“No, sir. I just like being organized so as not to mess up my work.”

“OCD it is then.” He muttered while jotting down something on the paper - which I haven’t noticed until now. “Tell me something that is not in your resume.”

“I love chocolates…”

Bloody hell, Lily!

“And reading books. I could be considered a bookworm.”

“What genres do you read?”

Lily raised one of her eyebrows slightly. She felt like this was a personal question.

“Adventure.”

“How about romance?”

“No way.” Then she caught herself. “I’m not exactly a fan of it, sir.”

He nodded once again. “How do you handle success?”

And so they were back on track.

***

“It was a pleasure having this interview with you, Ms Linton.” He stood up from his chair and Lily copied his movements. Sir Dalgliesh stretched out his hand.

“Likewise, sir.” She shook his hand firmly, wanting to be as professional as possible.

“We’ll call you again if there are any updates about your job application.” He reached into his pocket and gave Lily his business card.

“Thank you, sir.”

Her hands trembled in anticipation as she held the card. Was she finally going to get a job? Once and for all?

“Ms Linton.”

“Yes, sir?”

“I would advise you not to get your hopes too high.” Sir Dalgliesh clasped his hands behind his back. “Not just person could qualify as my private secretary. He or she has to be loyal. Betrayal doesn’t go unpunished by me.”

“I understand completely, sir. Any private secretary at any company must have those qualities.”

“That’s how it should be.” He sighs. “But I could name one person who turned his back on his boss just for a huge amount of money. I don’t need that kind of person.”

“The kind that easily gets bribed?” Lily asked.

“Exactly.”

Silence reigned over the two. As Lily finally decided to make a move for the door, Sir Dalgliesh stops her.

“Yes, sir?”

“One final question, Ms Linton. Anyone who wants to apply for a job under my company should be able to answer this truthfully.”

“Okay, sir.”

“Are you linked or acquainted with a Rikkard Ambrose?”

Lily racked her brains. She had once read an article about him in the Internet, but that doesn’t make them acquaintances, right?

“No, sir.”

Sir Dalgliesh nodded and smiled at her. “That’s all. You’re dismissed.”

Hiring Miss Lintonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें