Chapter One

Chapter One

Lily cursed as she opened multiple folders in her laptop, trying to look for the file that she somehow misplaced.

"Urgh!" she groaned as she buried her head in her palms. As she did so, a beep came from her laptop. It was a message from Mr Ambrose.

What's taking you so long to look for that file?

Straight to the point.

Lily sighed as she raised her hands to type on her keyboard.

I misplaced it, sir. I'm trying my best to recover it.

Lily sent the message and went back to her file hunt. Not even a minute later, she received another message.

Well, hurry up.

It took all of her strength not to throw her laptop across the room in frustration. Her boss' curt replies and agonizing demands were driving her off the edge.

***

"Yes!" Lily exclaimed as she finally found the file she had been looking for hours.

The reason why she had a hard time looking for the file is that she saved it into a folder full of videos and under the name LilyIsDaQueen.

Oops.

Without wasting anymore time, she darted from her office to the connecting door that led to the office of Mr Rikkard Ambrose.

"Sir! I finally found it!" she exclaimed. But her voice trailed off when she noticed the figure of Karim.

Lily had already been under the employment of Mr Ambrose for three months but still, she couldn't help but feel kinda terrified by the bodyguard's huge figure.

Even with that being said, she still claims to be a strong and independent woman and that nothing could stand in her way.

"Where's Mr Ambrose?" she finally asked.

"He's dealing with something." He curtly replied.

"What exactly?"

The bathroom door opened and revealed the ramrod straight figure of her employer. Mr Ambrose straightened his suit and proceeded to his desk. As soon as he sat down, he made a hand gesture for Lily to give him her laptop.

Lily didn't mean to comply just immediately because of her feisty and fiery nature. But after a month under the employment in this establishment, she realized that it would be better to just comply if she didn't want to get fired and be jobless once again.

Mr Ambrose scanned the file if there are any errors. When he found none, he returned the laptop to Lily.

"I want you to schedule a meeting with the manager of that pencil-making factory later at 8 pm." He stated while scribbling something on a piece of paper before handing it to Lily. "This is his contact number. After the call report to me at once."

"Yes, sir." Lily grabbed the paper and left Mr Ambrose and Karim in the office.

She plopped down on her desk and opened a bar of chocolate. She better munch on something when working crazy like this.

And yes, sending e-mails and setting up appointments is a crazy type of job.

"Hello? Mr Maxfeild?... Yes this is a call from Mr Ambrose's private secretary. Are you free this 8 pm, sir?... Okay, sir. We will be meeting up at your office?... Okay, sir. Thank you very much. Bye. Have a nice-"

Before Lily could finish her sentence, the line went dead. Shrugging her shoulders she opened the calendar app in her laptop and scheduled the meeting.

She had a bad feeling about it though.

Just as she closed the lid of her laptop, another beeping noise was herad. This time, it came from her cellphone.

Her best friend James Carter, was calling her.

Lily almost squealed in delight as she read his name on her phone screen.

You see, James was part of the army and has been deployed to different countries for the past few years after he got accepted. He and Lily had been keeping in touch

During the first few years they called each other frequently but then as time passed, they just started texting each other occasionally because both parties had become busy.

And this was the first time he called after a very long time.

"James!!!" Lily squealed to the phone. "I can't believe you're finally calling me after all those years!"

"I know, right?" James chuckled on the other line. "I have good news, by the way."

"What?" Lily was biting her fingernails as she paced around the room.

Could it be...

"I'm coming home to London next month." He said. "I'll see you soon."

Mr Ambrose was busy sorting through his paperwork when he heard a loud thud from his secretary's room. Barely containing his annoyance at his new employee, he strode to the connecting door to see what the matter was.

As he entered her office, his first instinct was to call the medics.

In front of him, Lily was sprawled on the floor breathing heavily. She must have sensed his presence because she immediately turned to his direction and stood up.

"I'm sorry about that, sir. I just tripped." She straightened her blouse and proceeded to her desk to retrieve her laptop. Just then a buzzing noise that sounded distinctly like a human laughter came from her direction.

With widened eyes, Lily ended the call.

Mr Ambrose's eyes narrowed infinitesimally. "What were you doing?"

"I was about to report to you, sir." She cleared her throat and stood up straighter. "Mr Maxfeild will be free tonight at 8 pm, sir. We will be meeting up in his office."

He nodded. "Next time, be careful."

And with that, he left her office.