Ch.14 || You Don't Know Suffering

The leaves atop the trees dwelled onwards and onwards like silken fabric from one of the Queen's gowns. Their leaves were crisp and dead yet hung onto whatever possible life they could. Raven attempted to spot something in-between the grey branches but only found the darkness swept beneath where death hid in its formidable cave of snow and bones; he should have thought it better to rid the castle of Cheshire when he spotted the little demon's shadow drifting ever so slightly against the walls.

Raven's feathers gently touched the wind as he hovered through. How unlucky he felt now. Questions pecked in his mind; one after the other, again and again they went.

What if the boy is lost?

What if the beasts have gotten to him first?

What if... What if....

He shook away those terrible thoughts. The moonlight made his feathers appear a deep purple which shimmered with hues of blue and small hints of crimson where there was only black. He heaved a long breath, inhaling all the air could give.

Raven felt the black in his ashen eyes grow small with caution. There was a movement down below in the dirt road where the forest ended. His body grew heavy, swooping down into the land. Turning his head side-to-side the bird found there to be nothing but an old and forgotten trail but before he could depart further into his search, a shadowy voice called for him.

"By-the-bye, I was not expecting to treat myself into a little bit of dessert tonight." Cheshire strided elegantly passed him.

Raven stood still, slightly cocking his head. He gave his feathers a quick clap as a warning to the cat to stay back, should he come closer.

"What a dread you are, old bird." Cheshire slumped down, licking his striped paws.

Raven adjusted his wings. "Where is he?" he demanded.

"The little prince is fine- if that's what you are really worried about." Cheshire allowed one of his eyes to prop open with the continuation of a smile.

The wind howled, leaves brushed against one another, and Raven...well Raven somehow felt colder beneath the protection of his feathers. He blinked, maybe once or twice, he didn't know. He didn't know anything anymore. What to do or what to say. He didn't know where things had gone wrong, and for a second of a moment he had forgotten why he was there at all. Long ago he had forgotten why he had decided to stay in this world and in a home where each passing day was harder than the last.

A pumping in his chest suddenly pulled him back into reality. Raven was tired. Too tired to be here at this moment and too tired to be dealing with Crow's nonsense. "What have you done with him."

Cheshire grinned, jumping into the air. "Do not think I make the boy's choices for him. Here, sane or insane, we all make our own choices, Raven." The cat jumped into a set of invisible stairs till he had reached the branches of a tree. "I simply gave him the options, and he, like any other wonderfully mad person, decided which was at its best."

Raven's tone remained the same as always, cold and unbothered. "No, Cheshire. I know what you are up to. Do not take the Queen for a fool, you blinded thing. If she is to ever find you again I swear by-"

"By what?" Cheshire laughed. "Silly how your old rhymes have grown too old for this place, Raven. You hardly even speak such anymore. I'm sure Catherine enjoys them more than anyone else doesn't she? She seems to be the only one that can stand your pity of a life." Raven's eyes grew heavy. "If you think I could ever harm him, you should think again. He is my prince, and Catherine, the shadow of what she once was, is still my queen. But the people matter more. You have not seen suffering, Raven. Never in your false royalty have you ever seen true suffering." Cheshire gritted his fangs. He exhaled a sad smile. "Have you ever left the chambers of the castle? Raven. Have you ever seen the madness that is now our kingdom."