Chapter 1: You're the devil to me

Elena's Pov

I arrived at the Mikaelson Mansion, standing at the front of the door which was wide open. Staircases were on each side, lit up by two chandeliers dangling from the ceiling above. Yes, I am still trying to figure out why I had come to this after all the pain and grief this family has brought into my life. 

I walked in, holding my gold and black dress which was covered in rhinestones. I had bought it with Caroline when I received the invitation to the ball.

My usually-straight hair was curled and placed to the side - held by a pin.

 As I stepped foot into the house, it felt as though all eyes were placed on me, something I did not like. Attention.

I looked around trying to spot some familiar eyes, I turned to my right and saw a particular blond-haired hybrid – Klaus. Just the thought of him staring at me gave me shivers of disgust. Why on earth is he staring at me? His eyes were placed on me, staring up and down my dress with his mouth agape. His eyes met mine, and that signature smile arose on his face. 

Great, I thought to myself. He walked towards me, holding a glass of champagne.

'Elena, well don't you look astonishing.' He said, smirking at me.

'I rather not be seen talking with the devil himself.' I said, trying to find someone in the room I could accompany. He chuckled and stared down at the floor.

'A little harsh, don't you think? I mean, I am the first man to approach you tonight, show some respect love.' He smiled gently. I glared at him and he smirked.

'Talking of which. Where are those bodyguards of yours? You know? Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum?" He said, referring to the Salvatores.

I recently broke up with Stefan as my feelings for him were disposing into nothing. And, not to mention the fact that I also had, somewhat, feelings for Damon, too. When I broke up with Stefan, I then realised that I didn't want anyone. It was too complicated, and I needed anything but that. 

I needed freedom, I wanted the right to think for myself. 

I looked at Klaus who was right beside me smirking at me whilst he took a sip of his champagne.

'I broke up with Stefan.' I said, looking at him as his smirk appeared wider.

'What a shame.' He said, showing no emotion other than amusement. The music started playing, all women in the house walked to the dance floor escorted by a man in a suit. Klaus stared at me and placed his champagne glass on the small table that was beside us.

'Shall we?' He offered his hand and smiled. I ignored his offer and started to walk off, as I felt a small grab. I looked at saw Klaus, who was now dragging me onto the dance floor. He placed one of my hands on his shoulder, and one entwined with his. His other hand drifted to my lower back placing it gently. I was surprisingly comforted by his touch.

We started to dance along the floor with dozens of other people. His eyes didn't move off mine as I tried ignoring him by looking at every other person in the room.

'Don't pretend like you're not enjoying this, love.' He smirked, my eyes looked into his ocean-blue eyes. I rolled mine.

'Please, you're the devil to me.' I said, as I continued to stare into his eyes, amazed by how unique they were. He swayed be across the dance floor, a smirk glosses on his face as I started to enjoy dancing with him. A small smile appeared on my face as I looked at him.

'You know, I got a personal invitation from your mother.' I said, breaking the silence between us.

'You what?' He asked. His facial expression changed in an instance. 

'She asked if I could attend the ball, as she would like to offer me a deal. I am supposed to meet with her after the first dance.' His eyes widened. He looked sincere for the first time.

'Please excuse me.' He let go of me and left me on the dance floor as he walked off. I ran after him. I caught up to him and held him back from walking up the stairs. He turned towards me, I saw his face grow with anger.

'I will tell you everything if you don't do anything stupid.' I said. He looked at me and suddenly calmed.

'I will meet with you on the back porch after you have spoken with my mother. I want every detail or else that will be the last thing you do.' He said, trying to intimidate me with his act of evil. I nodded, and let go of him. The music stopped playing, I looked at the blonde woman on the top of the staircase staring down at the people. I had confusion in my eyes.

'Esther Mikaelson.' Klaus whispered in my ear as his breath tingled my neck, which sent shivers down my spine. I walked up the stairs which lead towards Esther, she sent me a smile as I walked. She lead me into a room which was guarded by Finn Mikaelson. I walked in and sat on a couch across from Esther, we were separated by a small coffee table.

'Elena. I am Esther Mikaelson, it's such a pleasure to finally meet you.' She smiled at me.

'The pleasure is mine.' I replied to her, sending a soft smile.

'You are probably wondering why I have asked you to meet me here? Well, I created the vampire species in order to protect my family from all harm this world could bring. But now, they are the harm in this world... I would like to end your constant suffering my killing my children.' She said, my eyes widened.

'What role do I play in this?' I asked, confused.

'Tatia's blood created the vampire species, in order to kill them, I need a Petrova- doppelganger blood to do so... That's where you come along.' Her voice was calming, but I couldn't contain the anger but also the frustration that ran through my body. How would a woman want to kill her own children? The thought of that made me ill.

'How are we going to do this?' I asked. She held a knife and pointed it towards me.

'Shall I do the honors?' I nodded and handed her my hand. She took it and cut my palm, dripping onto a piece of paper forming a tree with the names of her children.

'Please do not speak of this to anyone.' She said.  I nodded, I made my way towards the door when she stopped me. She grabbed my hand and suddenly stopped. Her eyes flashed with photographs. I couldn't make the pictures out.

'Elena... Mikaelson.' She said as she let go. Her visions stopped and looked at me oddly.

'What's the matter?' I asked, confused in why she called me Mikaelson.

'You... You're the savior my family needs.' She said, I let her go and made my way downstairs, finding Klaus. Why did she say that? He looked up at me and walked towards the porch, where we would meet. I followed.

He was standing looking out to the forest that was seen from their backyard.

He looked so peaceful and calm.

'Klaus.' I said, softly. He turned, knowing I was there.

'What did my mother want?' He asked, calmly but I was able to see the anger and sadness in his eyes.

'She's planning on killing you and your siblings... But' I said. He looked at me and stopped pacing. 'But what?' He asked.

'She called me Elena Mikaelson. She told me that I was the savior your family needs.' I said, looking down at my fingers. His eyes widened.

'This can't be.' He said quite loud, staring at me. 'Meet me here, at the house tomorrow by noon. We have to talk.' He left instantly. I made my way back home, confused in why I was mistaken as a Mikaelson. Why she had visions. Why Klaus wanted to meet up with me tomorrow. I sure don't want to go, but in order to find out this secret he's withholding from me. I must.