Chapter 11: Permission Please

Milo

Leo's father sat at the head of the table with Leo, January, Janell and Sebastian on his one side, and Leo's mom, Dash, Thalia and I on the other side. "So, January we see that you like to experiment with your hair." Leo's mom tries to start a conversation. January shares a very nervous smile. "Yes Mrs. Montgomery, it has always been a hobby of mine." Leo's dad smiles at her and looks around the table, "Kids you don't have to call us Mrs. and Mr. Montgomery. Please call us Leopold and Elizabeth. Anyways January, it also seems like you like to experiment with Junior's hair too." We all try to contain our laughs at the thought of calling Leo, Junior. Elizabeth speaks up, "we have no problem with it, it actually looks great on you. The green didn't look so great on Junior in my opinion. I'm just curious what interested you about hair in the first place.

January looks up at Thalia and I for reassurance that she is fine. We know her story, but sometimes she just needs courage to share it with others. "Well I try my best with hair, I mean Leo's hair isn't really the color I wanted it to be, but I'm not upset with it." She looks at Leo with the most loving eye sand he wraps his arm around the back of her chair to let her know that he is their. She takes a deep breath continuing. 

"Well, when I was younger I used to live in foster care. When I would walk back to the house I was staying at every day, I would pass by this beautiful hair salon. I would always see all of these different styles that the hair stylists would make from the window and at the age of ten I finally grew the strength to walk in. I asked one of the ladies at the front if I could talk to the owner. This man came out of the back room and he looked like the kindest person you would ever meet. A smile didn't leave his face, and he didn't even know me yet. I asked him if in return for sweeping the hair from the floor I could get a haircut. This woman in the back, she turned out to be his wife, screamed that she would do it for free. That was the first time I had my hair cut from something other than safety scissors.

"Well I would go back every day to just hang out and sweep the hair. I told them that I would sweep the hair, and no free haircut would change that. The owner and his wife became two of my best friends, they would ask me about my day and share stories about their lives with me. Not once did they ask me why I would always be in that salon. I accidentally slipped up and told them that I had to get back to the foster home and I ran out of the place, feeling embarrassed. I knew that they would pity me, and I never wanted that. Well, the next day I didn't go to the salon in fear of hearing their thoughts about the subject. That night my foster parents told me that I was going to finally be adopted and I packed my things, no questions asked. I went outside the house and standing out the car was the owner of the salon and his wife. It turned out that they have been wanting to adopt for a while because they couldn't have kids, but just couldn't find the right fit. They told me that I was who they were looking for and they didn't have to think twice about it. So I guess doing hair is just a part of me now, I can't not do it."

When we were younger, January would always cut Dash and Thalia's hair for free. She said that she knew how it felt to not afford it and wouldn't charge them no matter what. They didn't care if she was good or bad, they were just thankful that they had a friend like that.

Holding back tears that are close to spilling out, Elizabeth says "Well January, one day when you and Junior get married, I'll get you a salon of your own."

"That's very generous of you Elizabeth, but I don't think we are thinking about marriage right now."

"Doesn't matter, I know you're going to stick around for a while." January looks down and lets out a small, genuine smile, while Leo puts his arm around her pulling her closer to him.

The night goes on just fine and we finish dinner. I notice as we got up that Sebastian had pulled Thalia into one of the rooms and after a couple of minutes I decide to go find out if everything is all fine. As I walk by the door of the room and I Thalia say "Just ask him, you're a big boy."

"But what if he hits me?"

"He probably will, and I'm positive that it will hurt a lot too."

"Wow, that doesn't make me feel better at all." The curiosity gets to me and I enter the room, "Hey, you guys good?" Thalia pushes Sebastian towards me. Fidgeting with his shirt's hem he whispers something that I can't understand. "What did you say Sebastian? I don't think that Milo heard you. Go ahead try again." Sebastian turns around and shushes Thalia and she giggles to herself. "Um, Milo... I wanted to know. Um.. I- I was wondering if it's okay..."

"Spit it out already." I try to get him to say it because I feel like I have been standing in front of him forever. "Okay. I wanted to have your permission to ask Isabel out on a date." He winces and keeps his eyes shut. My fists ball up and I don't realize how tense my body had become. To be completely honest, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Sebastian. For all of the years I have known him, he has been nothing but respectful to me and everyone around me.

So I walk up to him, so that our faces are only inches apart. He opens his shut eyes so that they are as wide as they can be unblinking. We aren't very far apart height wise, so I'm able to look directly into his eyes. "If I hear one negative word come out of Isabel's mouth that has to do with you then I swear you will never see the next morning. If her heart gets broken at all I swear I will show no remorse at all. Do I make myself clear young man?" He lets out a frightened nod to show me he was listening. "Now get out of here." 

"Yes, sir." He runs out of the room just to peak his head back in "Thank you!" and he's out of sight again. "Young man?" Thalia says the words with a smile on her face. "I deserve respect."

 "I just want you to know that he already asked her out but she told him that he needed your permission before she gave her answer."

"Smart move for both of them. She knows my rules while she's under my roof"

"You're kinda scary when you go through big brother mode." She walks by me smacking my chest with her hand "I like it." The words send shivers down my spine and she begins to walk out the room before turning back around to look at me. "By the way, we are having a slumber party tomorrow. I miss us." And she walks out the room.

I miss having time for just the two of us. After she got engaged she spent more and more time with what's his face and didn't have time for just the two of us. But since it's the weekend, I know I'll have time for just the two of us. I miss us too.

I walk into the living room that we first saw Leo's parents in and Janell keeps staring at Leopold. "As an entrepreneur, I just want to say that I am open for any business ideas you two would like to invest in."

"Entrepreneur?" Leopold asks raising an eyebrow. "Yes, like you two,  I, myself have my own business. I own a club that is doing pretty well."

"Is this the same club that my son got hit by a car outside of?" Elizabeth shoots a look at Janell. "Oh no, no. These children aren't allowed near my establishment. They don't even know that name of it. As the eldest I have to keep them away from the nightlife and I have to be mature on matters." The second she finishes the sentence we all start to burst into laughter. She may be the oldest, but the idea of her and maturity is beyond crazy. I can't even use the word 'mature' with her name in a sentence without laughing. She just rolls her eyes at us and shakes her head "see these children wouldn't understand." Leopold looks at Janell and gives a small chuckle "It's a shame you don't tell any of them, Junior is a very good business man."

"Is that so? JUNIOR?" Janell practically yells the last word. "Ok, Janell I think you need to go to bed." Leo says and starts laughing harder then before. "Your own bed!" I chime in, and we all continue to laugh while Elizabeth and Leopold watch us all in amusement.