Chapter 6: How Did You Not Know?

Thalia

It's been practically half of the day, and I have been calling people left and right telling them not to show up tomorrow. I get the occasional person asking me if I'm alright, but a lot of old people yelling at me for making them buy presents for no reason. They are acting like it is all my fault, like I'm not trying to help myself. I just wish that Lucas would take some of the effort and call people too, but I'm not going to talk to him. Dash walks into the room eating an apple. "Why is it that you are always eating?"

"Thalia, let me be. I just sent a bunch of emails to Lucas's side of the family to let them know not to come tomorrow. By the way I may or may not have emailed them 'Your boy is a disgusting pig and you should all feel dishonor on your family'."

"You actually did that for me?"

"It kind of was just for me. I'm not going to tell you what else I wrote. It's too rude to repeat in front of a respectable woman like yourself." I laugh even though I know that there was no lie in what he was saying. "Hey, let's go out tonight."

"Yeah, I don't think so Dash."

"Why not? It's not like we have anything to do. We both took off of work for the rest of the week."

"Yes, we took off for me to get married. But now I have to think about the fact that I wasted all of that money on my dress that isn't returnable."

"We can sell it, or cut it short and dye it. C'mon let's go. We can tell Milo, January, and Leo."

"What about Janell?"

"What about her?"

"We have to invite her too."

"Says who?"

"If you don't tell them all then I'm not going."

"You always have to be so difficult. Whatever, I'll tell Milo to invite her. I can't deal with her telling me another one of her stories again!"

I walk away, pretending I didn't hear anything that he said. I guess I should get ready, take my mind off of things. I can just wear one of the outfits that I bought for our honeymoon... that isn't happening anymore. Lucas said that he would pay for everything, so now that's all his. He can take whatever girl he wants. It just makes me angry how I spent so much money on my dress and makeup trials for all of this nonsense. I try to save my money so that I can live without looking at a bill anymore, but I guess that dream is long gone now. "Thalia, we are going to meet them at the club, so hurry up!" His words pull me out of myself pity and I start to get ready, I am going to have fun tonight even if it kills me.

While Dash drives us to the club I realize how nice he looks. His jet-black hair is slicked back, his beard is finely trimmed, and his clothes actually match each other and look good! His tattoos are securely hidden with the high collar of his shirt, and his long sleeves. Dash has two sleeves of tattoos and a few on his chest that barely peak up to his neck. The kids in the hospital actually like him so much more with them, always referring to him as the "cool nurse". "Who's the lucky person? You look too put together." He ignores my words and turns the radio up higher, which makes me just talk louder. "This is the first time you dressed up for something besides work." He lowers the radio again. "Thalia, scrubs aren't really dressy. This outfit is dressy!"

"So, why do you look so dressy tonight?" He reaches for the radio again before I block his hand quickly. "OMG, Dashy is meeting someone special tonight!"

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"Is that why you insisted on driving me tonight? You are scared that you will need a getaway car!"

"You can never be overly prepared my dear Thalia." I'm happy for him, he never gets to go out and meet people. He always works so hard to get as much money as he can to send back to his family and help us afford our place. "Well you know what Dashy? I'm happy for you, I can't wait to meet the lucky person."

"Yeah, you thought!" More like he thought. I'm going to meet them, and I'm going to embarrass Dash with every inch of my being.

We finally get to the club and the second I see Milo and Janell, Dash disappears. "Where did the hunk go?" Janell looks around the club looking for where Dash ran off to. "You know what, never mind I'll go find him." Before I can stop her, she is already out of sight. I then see Milo standing a couple of steps away from me. Maybe he didn't realize I was there. I waved to get him out of his thoughts and he looks at me like I'm crazy. Maybe he thinks my outfits ugly. "Wow." That's all he says as he looks at me up and down. "I knew you were going to say that my outfit was ugly."

"No you doofus, you look gorgeous. Everyone in this club is going to look at you in awe." I can't believe how nice my best friend is sometimes. Nobody deserves him, he's too good for this world.

Suddenly I feel Janell grab my shoulder and look at me like I'm crazy. "What's wrong with you Thalia?"

"What are you talking about?" Then I see Dash run up behind her laughing like I've never seen before. He has tears running down his cheeks and he is holding onto his stomach. He pauses just barely to manage out a few words. "Thalia you owe me twenty bucks." Then I remember a bet that I started with him in high school. "Why didn't you tell me Dash was gay?" Janell yells at me like it's my fault. "I wanted to see how long it would take you to figure out that he wasn't into you."

"Well obviously he isn't into me! I just saw him all over a guy a few minutes ago." Dash's laughter starts to get louder. "I thought he was just playing hard to get."

"No, you just happen to be the wrong gender for him."

"Dash! Didn't the most popular girl in school flirt with you all the time? Didn't you go out with her for a couple of months?" Dash wipes the tears and tries to regain composure. "Yes, in like Sophomore year! Turns out I thought her brother was cuter than her so we broke up. Oh my gosh, this is gold. Did you even see your face, Janell? Does this mean that you're done flirting with me?"

"It wasn't even that bad! And obviously now I'm going to stop! Why didn't you just tell me, you idiots?"

"Because we had a bet to see how long it would take you. Thalia said you would figure out the day of my wedding, but I said it would happen earlier. And now she owes me twenty bucks." Dash goes back to his laughter and Janell gives me a deathly look. Milo looks at Dash and I and says "you two are sick people."

"Wait a second... Milo did you know too?"

"Yeah. He tried to hit on Leo back in high school and I had to tell him it was a lost cause because he only had eyes for January."

"You guys are messed up. You knew I hit on him all the time and did nothing! I wasted so many good pick up lines on this boy." We all start laughing hysterically and Dash almost topples over. "I'm going to pee myself!" Dash screams before running away to the bathroom. "Oh no! We are not finished with this!" Janell screams it before following him. Milo looks at me and says "you should probably go stop her before she follows the poor guy into the bathroom." I think about it for a second before running after her into the crowd.