Part 83

I thought what we had already been going through was bad, but this couldn't compare to any of it.
Ever since this entire thing started, none of it felt real, but now, I was praying it really wasn't.
I didn't want to admit to myself the possibility of what what we just saw could mean, but the thoughts tormented me more than they ever did before. I wanted nothing more than to rewind time to when saying goodbye didn't hold the possibility of being the last time you ever saw anyone, but I'm afraid that's the case now.
I couldn't even remember the last words I said to Daryl, but whatever they were, I know they didn't show everything I felt for him, and it broke my heart knowing I couldn't change that.
I wanted so badly to cry, the emotions stopping at the base of my throat as they slowly choked me, bringing a numbness that coated every inch of my body.
The future was now more uncertain than it has ever been and with even more at stake, I knew that I'd do whatever I had to to protect the people who have given me something I'll never be able to repay them for; everything.

"What's that sound?" Sasha asked as the RV squealed down the road.

"Undercarriage could have caught a bullet," Eugene answered, "Or it could be transmission-- it could be nothing."

"They were firing at our feet." Rick informed, noticeably just as exhausted as we all were, as he leaned against one of the cabinets, "They blocked the road but they weren't trying to stop us-- they want us in this direction."

"So all these road blocks.. they're just using them to herd us where ever they want us to go." I breathed, the pieces coming together like some sort of horror themed puzzle.

"Barton road takes us north," Sasha began as she looked over a map on the table, "They gotta know we wanna go north-"

"Meadows-- could take us east a piece, but we could get back on track on Mayhew." Eugene quickly worked out as he cut her off.

"We're down to a third of a tank-- we could top off at the next stop, but no refills after that." Sasha said before Rick nodded, knowing that we may have no other choice.

"Hey," Aaron said lowly, getting our attention as he came up from the back bedroom, "She's burning up."

Rick slowly ran his hand over his face, the stress of everything visibly eating him alive as our eyes momentarily met, a near hopeless glance being shared.

"Rick." Abraham's voice called from up front as we made our way to the front window again, the brakes letting out a high pitched squeal.

"Go back." Rick ordered lowly as an even larger group of people blocked the road ahead of us, leaving the sickest case of déjà vu.

***

We all piled out of the RV as yet another road block stood in our way, this one revealing even more of the capability of these Saviors.

"Something like this would take us days-- weeks maybe." I shook my head, looking at the towering pile of logs that were stacked across the road.

"These tracks.." Eugene added, "They would indicate that they not only have people, but some big ass toys and capabilities-"

"What it indicates is we are neck deep up shit creek with our mouths wide open." Abraham explained, cutting him off.

Suddenly a scream was heard from behind, causing us to all quickly turn around, guns drawn, as a man was dropped from the bridge above the RV, hanging from only a chain around his neck.

I stumbled back at the horrific sight, wanting nothing more than to look away, but not being able to.

"Don't." Abraham stated lowly as the man struggled above us.

"I can try and break the chain!" Aaron pleaded, trying to get a shot.

"It won't work."

"I can try!" Aaron attempted again before Rick stopped him, repeating what Abraham said just seconds before.

"It won't work." He breathed, "And we need the bullets."

We all stood silently, not knowing what to do as the rattling of the chain and struggled gurgles filled the air around us until it finally came to an end, only to be replaced with a more familiar sound.

We turned around as the crackling of fire began, the logs behind us now slowly going up in flames, seemingly out of nowhere.

"You're treating your people good, right?" The same eerie voice that the Savior from the first roadblock held coming from the other side, "Like it was your last day on earth? Or maybe one of theirs?" The voice continued as we all scanned the area around us, "Better go-- it's gonna get hot.. you go get where you're going."

"Go," Rick said quietly, looking back at all of us, "Go." He repeated louder as we all retreated back to the RV once again.

***

"So what's the play?" Abraham asked as we all gathered around the table of the now parked RV, a map strewn in front of us.

"She needs a doctor." Rick shook his head, walking up from where Maggie laid in the bedroom.

"There are two more routes north from here." Sasha explained as her finger ran over the map

Aaron sighed, "They're probably waiting for us right now."

"There's no way that they left any route for us open if they went through all the trouble of creating those other roadblocks," I said honestly as my hand anxiously ran through the length of my hair, "They've been waiting on us-- they have this all planned out."

"So they're ahead of us, probably behind us, but they're not waiting on us, per se, they're waiting on this rust bucket." Eugene began, "And they don't know the moment to moment occupancy of said rust bucket.. and the sun sets soon."

We all slowly processed his words, taking in exactly what he was getting at and understanding that it was our only option-- even if it wasn't the greatest for all involved.

***

I let out a heavy sigh, pulling back from the hug as I looked up at Eugene, a heavy feeling in my heart.

"Whatever happens, I'm sure I'll see you on the other side." A said quietly, a small smile struggling to appear.

"If the circumstances do come to it, then I will for sure see you there, Elizabeth Ward." He nodded, a slight chuckle escaping my lips at the sound of a name this world had almost made me forget.

I turned back as I heard the rest start carrying Maggie out of the RV, taking a place on the side of the homemade stretcher and grabbing on.

"Thank you." Her tired, pain filled voice let out as she noticed Eugene, exchanging grateful nods.

And from then on, as we began our trek, we only had one goal in mind-- the same goal we had from the very beginning, and we weren't going to let anything stop us.

The end.

_____
This book continues on in For The Ones I Love, which is already completed!

As always, it is bitter sweet to finish a fanfic, but I'm excited to move on to my next.
Mistakes I Made is the next book for this fanfic series and is now available on my profile!
Updates will be made as often as possible and will continue the story of Trust Me and For The Ones I Love.

If you're interested in FTWD, I also have a book called Not The Same, which is a Nick Clark fanfic and is already getting great reviews.

Thank you all so much for reading this book and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.