Part 38

Everyone in town gathered around near the wall, confused and wanting answers, as we waited for Rick to come back and explain everything.

I stood quietly off to the side as I desperately tried to calm my shaken mind; everything that's happened today becoming something of nightmares.

I looked up at Maggie as she walked over to where I stood, my eyes glossy with tears, "Why is this happening?"

"I don't know, honey." She shook her head, her eyes sympathetic, "They'll be back though; they know what they're doing."

I nodded, putting on a fake smile because I knew what she was saying was as much for her sanity about Glenn as it was for mine about Daryl.

Just then, Rick walked up and through the crowd of people, "You can hear it-- some of you saw it. They got back here, half of them, still enough to surround us 20 deep." He began, "Look, I know you're scared, you haven't seen anything like this-- you haven't been through anything like this. But we're safe, for now." He continued, walking along the wall, "The panel the truck hit seems intact, we even reinforced it just incase but either way, the walls gonna hold together.. can you?"

Group members looked around at each other as if to see if someone was going to give an answer, but at this very moment, I didn't know if I'd be able to keep it together.. not after everything that's happened and not without Daryl.

"The others, they're going to be back." Rick said.

"They're gonna be back." Rosita repeated, trying to reassure everyone.

Rick nodded, "Daryl, Abraham, Sasha-- they have vehicles and they're gonna lead them away, just like the others. Then Glenn and Nicholas are gonna walk back through the front gate after; they know what they're doing, and we know what we need to do." He said, "We keep noise to a minimum, pull our blinds at night-- even better, keep the lights out. We'll try to make this place as quiet as a graveyard, see if they move on-"

"This place is a graveyard." One of the Alexandria's spoke up, cutting Rick off and causing the group to go quiet.

"The quarry broke open and those walkers were heading this way, all of them." Aaron began, catching everyone's attention, "The plan that Rick put into place stopped that from happening; he got half of them away." He paused, looking from person to person, "I was out there recruiting with Daryl and I wanted to try to get into a cannery and scavenge, but Daryl wanted to keep looking for people. We did what I wanted.. and we wound up in a trap set by those people and I lost my pack.. they must've followed our tracks." He said, letting out a defeated sigh, "Those people who attacked us.. they found their way back here because of me."

The group stayed silent, processing all the new information we just received, now knowing why and how those people found Alexandria.

Rick nodded, "There'll be more to talk about."

"Deanna?" Tobin said, causing us to all look over to Deanna as she walked away from the group, "Deanna?" He repeated himself a bit louder, but still getting no response.

My attention then quickly shifted when I spotted Rick now leaving the large group of people and heading towards his house.

I began walking his way, following behind him until we were far enough away from the rest of the group and then running to catch up with him, "Rick!" I yelled quietly, "Rick, wait."

He turned around, surprised that I was behind him but immediately embracing me in a hug, "Are you alright?" He asked.

I nodded into the hug before pulling away, desperate for answers, "Where's Daryl?"

"He's still out there with Sasha and Abraham, he's leading the other half of the herd away," he tried reassuring me, "They'll all be back soon and then we can deal with the rest-"

"No Rick," I cut him off, "Where is he?"

He furrowed his eyebrows at me, stepping back at bit, "What're you asking right now, exactly?"

"I want to know where he is," I repeated myself again, "What if something went wrong with the rest of the herd? What- what if they need help? And what if-"

"Liz, please." He stopped me, placing his hands on my shoulders as I looked up at him, tears threatening to spill out as worst case scenarios played through my mind, "He wouldn't want you leaving Alexandria and coming after him; no matter what."

"But-" I began, before getting interrupted, as a tear fell down my cheek.

"If he didn't want you out with the herd before, he wouldn't want you out there now, especially alone."

I looked into his eyes, tears beginning to block my vision as I tried to find my words, "I just- all of this.." I said weakly, shaking my head, "It's too much."

He stared back with empathetic eyes, "If I let you go now, and something happens to you, how do you think Daryl's gonna feel?" He questioned, "Daryl cares about you Liz, he really cares."

I nodded, taking some deep breaths and wiping the escaped tears off of my face, "Ok."

He pulled me in for another hug, wrapping his arms around me tightly and reassuringly rubbing my back, "Listen, my house is always open-- Carol's house is always open, so is Maggie's and so are many others.. you're never alone."

_____

Shorter chapter but some Rick/Liz bonding time.

What do you think about some of the things that were said in this chapter?