Part 22

I'd been sitting on the steps of Rick's front porch for about 45 minutes as the large, now shaken up, group of people slowly dispersed; my mind lost in thought.

"Hey, are you ok?" A voice said from behind as the door to Rick's house closed.

I turned around, seeing Carl walk towards me, "Yeah," I nodded, "Are you? You got knock back pretty hard."

He nodded, sitting beside me, "My dad-- he's usually not like that."

I shrugged, "I've seen worse-- I'm sure he had his reasons anyway.. right?"

"Carol said that Pete was hitting Jessie and then attacked my dad when he confronted him." He explained.

I chuckled, "Well now I don't feel so bad for picking your dads side without knowing anything first."

Carl nodded, a smile on his face, "Thanks for that, even though it kinda got you beat up."

I shook my head, "Nah, just got the wind knocked out of me."

The air between us went silent for a moment before Carl spoke up again, "I heard you and Daryl arguing the other night."

"Oh god!" I laughed, embarrassed.

"No, I'm glad I heard it!" He chuckled, "It made me realize that I was being a total jerk to you that first day you were here.. I just- I don't know, I thought-"

"That I was just using you guys and I had another group off to the side?" I cut him off, "Yeah, Rosita explained that whole theory to me."

"I was wrong and I know that now." He said sincerely, looking over at me.

I smiled, "No hard feelings-- I would have done the same thing."

"Yeah, but you probably wouldn't have been as big of a jerk as I was." He laugh.

"Oh I don't know, I can be pretty bitchy." I shrugged, trying to be serious as I held back a laugh.

"Yeah, you know, you're right! I heard you with Daryl." He taunted back.

"Ok ok!" I attempted to defend myself, "I was not a bitch there; he was the one who started it!"

He scoffed, standing up, "Oh, I'm sure he did."

I stood up as well, raising my eyebrows, "Are you trying to recreate what just happened between your dad and Pete?"

He shrugged, opening the door to his house, "Maybe?"

"Yeah, walk away!" I taunted as a smile crept onto my face, happy that I was finally mending the relationships that never got to properly form.

***

I opened my front door after hearing a knock at it; unsure who it could possibly be.

"Hey!" Olivia smiled, a medium sized cardboard box in her arms, "Sorry I'm just getting these to you now, so much is happening over at my place."

"It's totally ok," I said as I opened the door wider, "Come in, come in-- you can put it on the kitchen counter."

She nodded, walking the box into the kitchen and setting it down as I followed behind her.