Part 61

As the night drew on, I sat on my bed, comfortable clothing fitting loosely around my body as I brushed through my damp hair.

I glanced up as the door to the bathroom opened, Daryl walking out of it as he pulled a shirt over his torso and got into the large bed that we had been sharing night after night, but this time, the space between us was filled with silence.

Ever since I told Daryl that I loved him, something has just felt off between us, and it's starting to make me regret what I did, like, maybe he was right.. maybe this world isn't meant for anything other than distant friendships out of fear that one day, you might not have one another.

"I'm sorry.." I choked out quietly, catching his attention, "For what I said earlier and I know I told you I wouldn't take it back but maybe- maybe you were right about everything and, I mean.." I sighed, trying to regain my composure, "I do.. love you-- but, if you don't want me to, I won't."

He shook his head, "Never said that--"

"I know, it's just-" I cut him off, "I can't picture myself with anyone but you and I need you to know that.. because I'm never going to leave you, Daryl."

He nodded quietly in response, leaning against the headboard as I felt my worry filled eyes stuck on his frame, only wishing he understood how much I needed him.

"Please tell me you won't leave me.." I nearly begged as my voice cracked; the thought of opening up so much to someone who finally understood me, only to have the feeling they brought me potentially ripped away, making my body weak.

"Ain't nothing ya could do to make me leave ya." He mumbled, shrugging his shoulders, "I promised ya I wouldn't."

A smile grew on my face as I wiped away any tears that had fallen, before moving across the bed and ending up in his arms.

"Thank you." I breathed, his arms wrapping around me, making me feel like, for a moment, the world was still.

***

I awoke to the feeling of scruff against the side of my face before I turned over, seeing Daryl standing above me with a backpack over his shoulder.

"Sorry, didn't mean to wake ya," he murmured quietly, adjusting the bag, "Rick an I's about to head out-- there anythin' ya want me to look out for?"

I shook my head as I tiredly stretched beneath the covers, "When will you two be back?"

"Don't know," he shrugged, "Hopefully before dark, but if not, ya can crash at Rick's place till I get back."

I nodded before sitting up, "Ok, just.. be safe, please."

He nodded back, "We're just gonna get what we need and get back here-- ya ain't gotta worry."

"I know." I smiled tiredly before the familiar feeling of his scruffy face was back on mine again, leaving a kiss in its place.

"Don't wait up tonight, 'kay?" He mumbled, stepping towards the door before I nodded, knowing that I probably would anyway.

***

A grabbed the clean tupperware container from the drying rack, pressing the lid back onto the base, before heading out the door and doing what I knew needed to be done.

I lightly knocked on the wooden door in front of me, my stomach in knots as I nervously waited for an answer before it finally opened.

"Hi." I breathed, my mouth dry.

Carols stare went from me, down to the container in my hands, "I'll take that." She said, holding her hand out.

"Oh, yeah," I fumbled with it, almost forgetting, "Thank you again-"

"Mhm." She hummed, taking it from me before beginning to close her door.

"Wait, please, just--" I stopped her, "Can we talk.. please?"

She let out a quick sigh before reluctantly opening her door wider, "Make it quick."

_____
Same excuse, different day.
I've just been extremely busy which is why this chapter is so short and late.
No promises when the next one will be out, but I'm hoping soon.

Daryl did try to sneak a little 'goodbye' kiss to Liz when he was leaving tho which was actually so sweet