Part 69

As the news of the deal being successfully made went around and we piled supplies from the Hilltop into the RV, my heart was heavy with the knowledge of everything to come. Not only were the lives of strangers going to be ended, but the lives of those I cared most about were not promised anymore, not like they really ever were in the first place, and as much as I am opposed to it, I understand that this is probably our last option and I'm going to stand behind this group until my very last breath.

My head popped up, pulling my mind out of deep thought as Daryl nudged me, holding a small black and white picture.
A small smile grew on my face as my eyes made out the shape, realizing what was in front of me; an ultrasound picture. I took it in my grasp before looking up at Maggie and Glenn who sat just across from me, hand in hand-- an image of what normal used to be.
I let out a quiet breath before handing the picture over to Abraham and leaning back beside Daryl, my heart now heavy with a different feeling.
Growing up, and still to this day, I never really wanted kids. The world that I had grown up in was anything but kind and this world is no better; I don't think I could live with myself if I brought another life into this hell. All that aside though, I never even thought I'd find someone that I'd want to raise a kid with, that is, until I met Daryl. Just by the love he shows me, I know that there is so much more hidden beneath his tough exterior-- I know that he has so much more to give to this world than I think he is even aware of, or at least wants to admit to. It just upsets me knowing that, for the sake of safety, health, and just life in general, we'll never be able to be in Maggie and Glenn's position, even if we wanted to.

***

After we had gotten back to Alexandria, the warm, safe feeling bringing me an ounce of peace, I began helping Olivia with inventory as the supplies we had brought back were being unloaded.

"So, the meeting Rick said he's holding in half an hour," Olivia began quietly, "You got any idea what it's about?"

I let out a sigh, writing on the paper I held in front of me, "A deal was made for.. all of this." I gestured at the supplies.

She nodded slowly, "And I'm guessing from your tone it wasn't a good one, was it?"

I shrugged, "Depends on your idea of good."

***

"We can work with the Hilltop-- Maggie hammered out a deal." Rick explained to the group who sat before him, "We're getting food-- eggs, butter, fresh vegetables.. but they're not just giving it away." He continued, "These Saviors almost killed Sasha, Abraham, Daryl, and Liz; sooner or later they would have found us too-- all of us, just like the ones before. They would've killed someone or some of us, then they would try to own us, and we would try to stop them.. but by then, in that kind of fight, low on food, we could lose." He said as he look around the group, "This is the only way to be sure, as sure as we can get, that we win-- and we have to win. We do this for the Hilltop, it's how we keep this place-- it's how we feed this place. This needs to be a group decision, if anyone objects, here's your chance to say your piece."

The room was silent for a moment before Morgan stood up, causing us all to turn back to him.

"You sure we can do it?" He asked, "We can beat them?"

"What this group has done, what we've learned, what we've become, all of us-- yes, I'm sure." Rick reassured him, easing my mind a bit as well as the others.

Morgan nodded, "Then all we have to do is just tell them that."

"Well, they don't compromise-" Rick tried to explain before he was cut off.

"This isn't a compromise.. it's a choice you give them." Morgan began, "It's a way out, for them and for us-"

"We try to talk to the Saviors, we give up our advantage and our safety." Rick stopped him, "No, we have to come for them before they come for us-- we can't leave them alive."

"Where there's life, there's possibility--"

"Of them hitting us." Rick corrected.

"We're not trapped in this-- none of you are trapped in this." Morgan said, looking around at the group of unsure people.

I let out a long sigh before standing up, facing back to Morgan, "I think we'd all like to pretend that everything's fine-- that all of our problems and disagreements can be talked out like before.. but Rick's right." I shook my head, looking around the room before back at Morgan, "I was face to face with two of the Saviors, you weren't, but just a few hours ago I was on your side." I shrugged, "I didn't want us to be the ones to start something, but Daryl reminded me of those two men that threatened my life without a single ounce of remorse.. these are not good people and if we give them a chance, I don't think they'll return the favor."

Rick nodded approvingly towards me as I turned back around, taking my seat again, "Morgan.. they always come back." He continued.

"Come back when they're dead, too." Morgan shrugged.

"Yeah, and we'll stop them. We have before-" Rick assured before getting cut off.

"I'm not talking about the walkers."

Rick sighed, "Morgan wants to talk to them first, I think that would be a mistake but it's not up to me." He continued, addressing the group, "I'll talk to the people still at home, I'll discuss it with the people on guard now, too, but who else wants to approach the Saviors and talk to them first?"

"What happened here-- we won't let that happen again." Aaron said, suddenly standing up, "I won't."

"Looks like it's settled then." Rick nodded back at him before looking over the rest of us, "We know exactly what this is. We don't shy from it, we live. We kill them all."

I let out a shaky breath before Daryl's hand squeezed mine, like he knew what I was feeling in this exact moment.

"We don't all have to kill, but if people are gonna stay here, they do have to accept it."

_____
A bit of a look into Liz's mind as we see her perspective change, bit by bit.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so feel free to leave them!