Power Training

After practicing my aim a few more times with the arrows I was told that my aim was progressing well and that I had the natural skill of an archer. I did cardio with Talena and hand to hand combat with Cora.

"Ok Carter, you are doing fine physically, But now we must train you magically." Everyones eyes had a reminiscent glint, obviously power training was fun if they had such good memories of it.

"What do we start with?" I asked, everyones heads turned to look at each other, not knowing how to respond. Mother Nature stepped forward, book in hand.

"I believe that you need to summon a star."

"Havent I already done that?" I said gesturing to the smoldering targets around me.

"Not quite, the book says summoning weapons come much more naturally and is easier then summoning one star in particular. But as it is dark out, it should help you visualize what star you want to pick out."

"What does it being dark out have to do with her summoning stars?" Jen asked.

"If she looks at the stars, she can pick which one she wants better, whereas if it was day, she would have to pick a star from memory, which is far more difficult to do." Jen nodded in response and leaned back against the wall.

"Alright, if that was all the questions, lets test this out!" Mother Nature said hopefully. I could tell she was worried that it wouldn't work, she doesn't know much about Star Caster's anyway.

We all walked outside into the castle garden, it was dark out but the moon was bright and stars covered every bit of black, coating the sky in diamonds. 

I felt a pull towards all the stars, the wind was almost like their whispers in my ears. Telling me what to do. I closed my eyes, and reached one arm out to the brightest star in the sky, imagining it falling down to earth and into the palm of my hand.

After a moment I heard a few gasps, and a gentle heat against my palm, I slowly opened one of my eyes, then the other. In the palm of my hand laid a star, slightly bigger then the palm of my hand, it was bright, but not blindingly so. I stared it in wonder, I felt as though I had been holding the universe in my hand.

"You did it," I heard Mother Nature murmur.

"Can you do anything with it?"

"I don't know...." I trailed off. It pulsed lightly, and I reached out to touch it, it felt soft, but as if it had spikes. I pinched pieces of it, it molded like clay under my fingers, smoothing out and shaping it. 

"Whats that?"

"Its a Griffen. Its my favorite mythical animal." The star shaped itself around my design, becoming more precise and detailed until you could practically see the individual feathers in its wings. The pulsing got brighter, and stronger, the star felt heavier in my hand, and I struggled to hold it up. 

"Carter, what is it doing?" Talena asked slightly panicked. 

"I-I don't know." I answered truthfully, the pulsing became more rapid, and brighter. Until, what seems to be happening oh so often. I blacked out.

~~~~

I opened my eyes, trying to focus on what was around me. I propped myself up on my elbows, looking around. At first around my looked bleak, but the more my eyes adjusted the more stars that I saw,. Northern lights danced across the sky in colors of green and purple. 

"Finally someone has returned," purred a voice. 

"Is she the last?"

"I believe so, the last Castor." 

"W-who are you?" I stuttered.

"Don't be afraid, we are the companions of the Castors." The stars began to combine and adjust, forming animals, griffins, to be more exact. 

"You. You are griffins."

"Yes, we are the guardians of the Stars, companions of the Castors for since the dawn of our creation."

"Companions?"

"Yes, every Castor has received a lion, one that matches with their personalities, strengthen them, creating a bond only broken with death."

"Does that mean that I will receive a griffin?" 

"Why do you think that you are here? The star you collected was a griffin that chose you, one that felt a bond." 

"Where are they?" As the words left my mouth another griffin showed up. 

"I am Nysa." I looked at the griffin that was now in front of me. She sparkled blue and purple, her eyes were black with white speckles, and her feathers and fur was black with purple tips. I reached out to touch her, she moved closer to me and I touched her soft feathers, they felt like the fluffy fur of a blanket. 

"You must go back now, you have been gone long enough." I turned towards Nysa.

"Will you be there when I wake up?" 

"No, you must bring me there, when you wake up, the star you captured with now be a bracelet, take it and you will know how to summon me." 

~~~~

I opened my eyes, I was in my room from the castle. Everyone was around me, Cora was looking straight ahead on a chair next to me, Talena was next to her, and she seemed to be asleep on her shoulder. Jen was looking outside towards the garden and Rai was laying on the foot of the bed, playing with her powers. 

"Guys? What happened?" Everyone instantly perked up, Cora jumped out of her chair, Talena's head fell, jerking her awake. 

"Cora what the heck!" she paused, "oh my gosh Carter! your awake!"

"What happened?" I asked again.

"The star started to pulse really rapidly, then you just dropped like a sack of potatoes." Jen explained. 

"How did I get here?" 

"Chase carried you." I felt the heat rush to my cheeks, I tried to cover them, but I was a little late.  

"Oh my gosh you like him!" Rai gushed.

"I do not!" 

"No, Im pretty sure you do," Cora replied smirking. I groaned and fell back into the pillows, covering my face.

~~~~

Ok, so I promise that I am not dead. School has made it really hard to write, and this chapter has been added on too so many times. But I finally got over a thousand words. (Albeit barely) But I have to confess that despite my efforts, chapters probably won't be updated very often until summer, maybe I can push out a few during winter break, but thats a big if. So please bare with me 

-Nyx