Begining to Learn

Several other people came and started helping Talena heal people. I watched as some people died in front of them. I watched as the dead body's were carried away, their loved ones crying as they watched them go.

All of the monsters were dead, black smoke coming off of their body's slowly evaporating. Anyone who had life threatening injuries were healed, and they started healing the minor injuries.

Suddenly Cora stared yelling, I looked in her direction and saw her standing over the body of one of the monsters, she was clutching its hand and started sobbing. Everyone, including me, ran over to her.

The black smoke that once covered the monsters body, was now sinking into the ground. In its place was a girl our age, unhealthily pale, a deep gash across her stomach.

"Help her please." Cora said in between sobs, I looked around me, all of the monsters were slowly turning human, many of which were already dead.

Talena immediately started to heal her wound, the flesh stitching itself back together. She got pale, which I assume was from using so much energy, but she closed the wound. The girl grew some color in her cheeks and her breathing became less ragged, but she was still unconscious.

Healers tried helping the other people, but they too were exhausted, the girl Talena saved was the only one to survive.

~~~~~

Cora hasn't left the hospital wing of the palace. We have to bring her food and water but most of the time she wouldn't touch it. She hasn't talked ether, she stays by the girls bed, just watching her. It's been a week and she still hasn't woken up.

I walked through the door to the hospital room she was staying at. The steady beeping noises from the machine was the only noise in the room. Cora didn't turn to look at me when I came in.

Jax was sitting by her chair, sleeping, Talena was sitting in the chair next to her, rubbing her shoulder gently. I sat opposite to Cora, her eyes were rimmed with red, her cheeks flushed. Dark circles under her eyes and her cheeks were sunken in, she hadn't eaten or drank anything for a long time.

"Her name is Lex" Cora whispered quietly, her voice cracked and broken.

"She was one of my closest friends before we were attacked. She almost escaped with me, but the black smoke caught up with her. I didn't think I'd see her again, and I almost killed her." Coras voice was so quiet I could barely hear what she said. Talena reached over and gave her a comforting hug.

Cora started crying again and reached out to hold her hand. Her thumb rubbing circles as she held onto her limp hand.

"You need to drink something." Talena told her gently.

"I'm fine."

"No your not, she's bound to wake up soon and do you want the first thing she sees to be you mal-nourished?"

Cora shook her head and reached towards the glass of water sitting next to her, she stared sipping it slowly, then swallowed the rest in one big gulp. She held the glass out to Talena, looking down, a slight blush in her cheeks.

"Can you fill it up please?" The corners of Talena's mouth turned up slightly, and refilled the glass. I decided they needed sometime to be alone and left the hospital wing.

I walked back towards the lounge area, where Clem, Rai, and Jen usually were. They had decided it would be best to leave Talena and Cora alone for now.

Jen and Clem were playing some kind of racing game on the gaming system. Without looking up they greeted me.

"Gran is looking for you," Rai told me, "she went up to the rooms to look for you." I thanked her and left up the stairs to where we have been staying the past week. I was supposed to share a room with Cora, but her side of the room is untouched and empty, at least Talena got her to drink something.

Just as I approached my door Gran came out of it, probably still looking for me.

"You were looking for me?" I asked,

"Yes, Mother Nature wishes to talk to you." Gran led me down the winding hallways, before stopping at a big wooden door. She knocked on it gently, the door opening on its own.

Gran placed a hand on my back, encouraging me forward. I tried to turn around to look at her but she was already gone.

"Hello dear,"

"Hi," I said timidly.

"I wanted to talk with you about your past." I didn't say anything, so she motioned me to sit down in the seat in front of her desk. She pulled out a large worn leather book. It had a crescent moon and small gems on the front.

She opened the book, the yellow pages cracked with age. She opened the book in the middle, but the pages were blank. I gave her a questioning glance.

"Watch." She placed her hand on the pages, a soft green glow came from her hands. Words started to appear out of the pages, pictures moving as if they lived in the book itself. My mouth hung open slightly.

"This is the book created by the old Fortunes. It contains the past and hints the future of the Night Stars. As you can guess it's very valuable and cannot get into the wrong hands."

I watched the photo of a young woman cup her hands, as if she was making a snowball. Then threw her hands towards the sky, dozens of stars spiraling out of her hands, forming what I now know to be Ursa Major.

"The Night Stars foretold the near extinction of their race, and they prepared for it, made sure that their history would not be forgotten."

"Why didn't they stop it? If they knew it was coming, then why didn't they prevent it?"

"Very few people can tamper with fate. They knew that they could change the dates, but they could not change their eventual downfall." I nodded, but it was still sad to think so many people had to live, knowing that they would die.

"This book has foretold many events. Including you."

"Me?"

"The book tells of a girl, the last Night Star will return from earth and bring the Night Stars back to power."

"But aren't they all dead?"

"I used to believe so. But after the ball I looked at some of the body's of the dead monsters, they were all Shapeshifter's."

"Like Cora?"

"Yes, I think that Morgana has found a way to turn shapeshifter's into mindless beasts. So I have every right to believe that she is attempting to do the same with the Night Stars."

"And if she succeeds?"

"A higher form of war."

~~~~~~~

Word Count: 1151