The Truth

Recap:

"Oh Carter"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tried to get her to say something to me, but she wouldn't reply. Her face was black as she picked up the kitchen.  I kept calling her name, but she still wouldn't respond. 

"What are you keeping from me!" I yelled, she stopped what she was doing. 

"Alright dear, its time you know the truth."

"What kind of truth?"

"The whole truth." 

"Call Harper over here please." I walked over to the house phone and dialed Harpers number. Harper picked up on the last ring.

"Hello? Carter? Its's.. wait what time is it. Its 11;42 Carter! 11:42!" 

"I knowIm sorry, Gran said something about telling me the truth? I don't know what it has to do with you though, but she said that I need to tell you to come over here." She mumbled something. 

"Ill be right over." The line went dead before I could say anything, I know it was over the phone but her voice sounded different, older. I set the phone down when the doorbell rang. No way thats her, its barely been a minute!

I opened the door and Harper came in, fully dressed and ready. She looked at me for a second the walked in without saying anything and started talking to Gran in the kitchen. I was pretty fed up.

How long have you been keeping something from me!?" I asked storming in the kitchen.

"Meet us in the living room in a few seconds and we will tell you." Gran responded calmly.

"Why?" 

"Don't be difficult Carter." I stood my ground.

"Do you want answers of not?" I shifted my feet, I did want answers, more then I was willing to admit. After a second I begrudgingly went into the living room and sat on the sofa. Every tick from the clock seemed annoyingly loud, when Gran and Harper came in, I was ready to punch the clock. 

"Alright, what do want to start with? Scale of one to ten on surprise factor."

"Ten, not much else can surprise me today." They both shared a look that looked confused and worried at the same time. 

"Alright," Harper started, "have you ever been to my house?"

"No but what does that ha-"

"Have you ever seen me without this necklace?"  I paused as I thought of it, I never thought much of it when I noticed she never took it off, I just assumed that it was a family heirloom or something. 

She took a deep breath and began to take off the necklace, I watched in both horror and curiosity as the structure of her face changed, she grew taller unit and more mature. She looked around 25, her hair changed to a dirty blond, and her eyes a striking green. 

"Alright since that it out of the way, we may as well tell you the surprising part. Carter, you have the rare ability to control cosmos. Her voice was firm and unforgiving. Gran shot Harper a glare that, if looks could kill, Harper be ten feet under right now. 

I started laughing, not normal laughing ether, but big loud maniac laughing. I laughed until I started laughing and tears formed in my eyes.

"Do you think we went to fast?" Harper asked, not taking her eyes off me.

"I think you broke her." I continued to laugh, this was a wee planned prank, they almost had me when Harpers face started changing. I looked up to their faces, but there faces showed no humor, there faces were still serious. 

"You've got to be joking!" I said, still catching my breath from laughing. 

"I couldn't be joking even if I wanted to." 

"When your parents disappeared that night, Harper was sent to look after you in case of an emergency."

"Who would come after me? What do they want me for?" 

"We aren't sure exactly, but it might be because of you potential."

"But you had a whole life?!" I said pointing an accusing finger at Harper.

"What about all that time during school? Those friends you had? Heck, you had a boyfriend!

"Thats because he's my husband," Harper explained, "because we didn't know how long I would be here with you, we volunteered to come with me." So that answers that, but  something still felt a bit off. 

"Wait, before I started laughing, you said something. What was it?" 

"Uh, Im 26?" She clearly lied, Gran had been listening to our conversation silently spoke up.

We said you could control the cosmos Carter."