"So....what classes do you have together?" Ruth asked.

"Oh, Lindsey and I don't have any together. We do see each other at lunch occasionally," Stevie answered, struggling to swallow
"Fast friends, I suppose" Ruth said. "Tell us more about yourself, Stevie, is it?"
"Well I'm a senior where Lindsey goes to school...um...I love music and I'm a cheerleader," Stevie didn't want to reveal things that may leave her with a bad appearance
"A cheerleader, that's wonderful." Ruth said with a smile.

"Thank you."

"I bet you're very well liked. You're a sweet girl. Did you grow up around here?" Ruth worried about the company Lindsey was keeping. He never had friends before but was prone to be taken advantage of.
"I was born in Phoenix but we've been here for a while now. We move around a lot because of my dad's job." Stevie answered politely

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"I do," Stevie nodded
Lindsey looked down at his plate. That seemed to bother him.

"Good for you, dear. Is he kind?"

"Oh he's wonderful." Stevie beamed. "He's a nice guy, fun to be around."
"My Lindsey hasn't seemed to find someone just yet. But he will! I know he will," Ruth kissed the top of his curls, causing him to turn bright red
"Any girl who gets to call him hers will be very lucky when that day comes. He's protective, loyal...sweet." Lindsey looked back down at his plate. He was conflicted, Stevie could tell but knew not to pester him. Ruth nodded her agreement with the statement.
"Lindsey mentioned something about drawing, I'd like to see some of your work if that's okay?" Stevie asked softly, Lindsey's head shooting up as his eyes grew large

"I-I-They're not good..."
"He's being modest." Ruth said. "I've seen a few of his drawing and they're splendid."

"See, I knew that wasn't true!" Stevie smiled at him.

"You're s-sure?" Stevie nodded vigorously. "Okay then."
He stood from the table and walked away, Stevie assuming that she was supposed to follow, "You'll have to excuse him, he doesn't have company over."
"It's okay." Stevie said before following after him. She walked toward his room and he lead, seeming to not realize she was right there behind him. He started moving things on his desk, passing right by her to shut the door.

"Here" he said, thrusting a heavy black notebook in her direction.

"Are these?"

"Mine, they're mine." he said quickly, standing in front of her expectantly.
"May I?" She gestured toward his bed

"What?"

"Can I sit down?" She rephrased

"Yeah."
She took her place and opened the notebook. There were pieces of paper shoved between pages, some with large x's through them, marking them as 'not good enough', but Stevie pretended not to notice. He was good and she was impressed, her fingers lingering over the blackened lines drawn across the pure white sheet. "Wow" she said aloud and Lindsey cautiously made his way to sit on the bed with her. "Wow, Lindsey, I'm..." She looked up and smiled broadly at him. "These are amazing, you're amazing, Lindsey."
"Really?" He smiled softly

"You are fantastic," Stevie grinned, flipping through the pages and finding one of her.

"No!" Lindsey said embarrassed as she wasn't supposed to see it
He tried to take the book from her as her smile faded. "You did this?" He didn't speak, he was afraid she would be angry or tell someone. "Maybe it's conceited to say this but...it's beautiful!" She was happy but there were tears in her eyes. Lindsey didn't know what to make of it. "Thank you" She threw her arms around the young man and he froze.
"You're welcome," he said awkwardly, not hugging her back as no female besides his mom had ever shown him this type of affection