KabanKata 12

Kabanata 12

"Matteo!" Lucas trailed off, brushing his own Mohawks upward, exposing his too wide forehead.

Matteo who is currently drawn on his own book took a quick glance to the source of that voice. His friend, he realized.

Isinara ni Matteo ang libro, ipinasok sa bag at tamad na nilingon ang kaibigan. Lucas has a smug look on his face passing the ball to Matteo. "Wanna play after class Mr. Nerd?"

Matteo caught the ball before it could hit his face. Inayos ni Matteo ang kaniyang eye glasses at umiling. He doesn't want to be outside today. Today is a nice weather to write and read.

"Come on Matteo, don't be a bore. We have to savor this weather. Minsan lang 'to." Pagpupumilit ng kaibigan at naupo sa katabi niyang mono bloc. Matteo still declined sending the disappointed Lucas away to look for someone who is willing to compete with him.

It's always been like that on Matteo's daily life. Which explains why, he thinks he doesn't have a lot of friends. The only friends he considers is his own sister, and parents. Sad? To Matteo, it isn't. It is his own way to play safe so he won't be able to feel the bitterness of being betrayed or left. He would rather be a loner than a sucker by the end.

He's used to the fact that his world only revolves around a few person. But he's glad that this specific people are the ones he can always count on.

Binasa ko nang paulit ulit ang mga sinulat ni Theo, nag iisip ng maaring idugtong dito. I am used to writing first point of views stories but of course, I am the one who feels the need to adjust for him. He keeps on bugging me to use third person point of view since it gives more depth to what is happening. Dagdag niya pa, hindi raw magiging kumplikado ang paglalarawan sa itsura ng mga tauhan. The describing yourself in the mirror became a mantra he says.

The story that we are currently writing doesn't have any planned plots or anything. We just write everything that comes into our minds and transform them into words. And maybe, by the end things will unfold by itself. Who knows we might make a completely unplanned novel.

Inabot niya na sa akin ang ballpen and this time, sa akin naman nakasalalay ang story.

Tessa on the other hand is living her normal life at her hometown. She's contented on what life gives to her. She's contented in watching the sun rise at exactly 6 am. Helping his father get ready for work at the fields and make coffees for other farmers. Yes, she's pretty basic. A basic probinsyana. But is there anything more from her? More than what meets the eye?

"Tessa!" Nagbalik sa realidad si Tessa nang biglang pumasok ang ina sa kubo. Her mother in a usual grumpy mood.

"Yes po?" Nilingon ni Tessa ang Ina. Nakasimangot pa rin ang mukha pero nakatuon ang mga mata sa cellphone. Palakad lakad na ito ngayon sa sala.

That cellphone. That cellphone that the Mendozas gave for Tessa. Its supposed to be her's. Pero dahil sa lubos na pagmamahal sa magulang, pinaubaya na lang niya ang sariling kagustuhan para sa kasiyahan ng Ina.

Inabot ko ang ballpen kay Theo, hinayaan ko siyang mag sulat habang hinihilot ko ang palad at daliri ng aking kamay. Nakakangalay ang ganito lalo na at hindi ako sanay sa pagbababad sa ballpen. Alam ko na bukas o sa susunod na araw ay magkakapaltos ako sa daliri nito.

Namataan kong itinigil ni Theo ang pagsusulat, tinignan ang kamay ko.

I guess its time for our hands to have some nap.

His note says. Ngumiti ako at tumango. Nice idea, but we have to cook for tonight.

The smell of mushroom soup lingers inside the room. Nilanghap ko iyon, almost patting myself on the back for a nice job. Theo is just at the living room, reading a book kaya panatag akong nakakakilos ngayon, dahilan na rin siguro para maging maayos ang aking pagluluto. Knowing him, I know he will just beg me to let him help. But because he is lost again in the fictional word he is currently in, hindi iyon naging problema. Mas mabuting huwag muna siyang kumikilos. He have to regain his stamina. He deserves to have some rest after living uncomfortable for one year.