Okay, so he was not exactly wrong.

"That is true." I turned to look at him, but not accusingly. "But I also let you do it. I never told you to ask him to leave. I think he was just really charming that he managed to worm his way into the house without us thinking twice." Somewhat like a conman, I wanted to say.

My cousin looked at me anxiously. "Do you think he could be Connor?" 

I did entertain that thought more times than I would admit. But Eric/Zeke looked too young to be Connor and was nowhere near as how I remembered him to be. And Connor was tall, thin, and had eyes that seemed to never be in focus - almost deranged. The few times our paths had crossed, he was fidgety and would explode into violent bursts at the most random times.

Eric/Zeke, on the other hand, was more calm and composed. He carried himself with confidence and charm, something I did not think was possible to reengineer into the Connor I, unfortunately, knew.

"No. He isn't Connor." I was certain. If it was Connor, the hair at the back of my head would have stood as it always would when he was near. 

"Okay." Hunter didn't question me any further. We stayed in silence after that, just a little lost in our thoughts of what we were going to do next. I wasn't sure how long we remained in our little bubbles but the deafening shrill of Hunter's ringtone immediately broke me from my reverie.

Hunter looked at me. "It's the hospital."

My gaze stayed on Hunter as I tried to figure out what the call was about from his growing frantic responses.

"What? I don't understand... How? I thought you had the police stationed there?"

My eyebrows furrowed.

"Okay, we'll be there, soon." He ended the call and just stared at me confused.

 "What?" I sat up straight, waiting for Hunter to tell me what had happened.

"Somebody tried to poison Eric."

____________________________

Hunter and I sat outside the ward where Eric/Zeke laid. Two policemen stood guarding at the door which separated us. Apparently, somebody had snuck in and switched the IV drip with poison. And if it weren't for a nurse who was running late doing her rounds next door, nobody would have made it in time to pull the drip out of his system when the alarms started blaring.

To be honest, there was no reason for us to be there at the hospital. Zeke was still unconscious so we could not really interrogate him for information. The doctors and nurses had stabilised him so he was no longer dying. And the extra policemen stationed outside the door was more than enough to protect Zeke. So Hunter and I just stayed seated outside in the hall awkwardly as we waited for Tristan to come meet us at the hospital. 

"When is Tristan getting here?" Hunter said tiredly.

I checked my phone to read his last text.

I will be there in 30 minutes.

That was 20 minutes ago. "Soon," I said.

"Are you Arianna?" I looked up to the person who asked. A tall man in a doctor's coat stood staring down at me. 

"Who are you?" Hunter slid his arm on my shoulder protectively.

The stranger smiled. "Sorry, I should have introduced myself. I'm Liam. Tristan told me to check that you're okay." He put his hand out for me to shake. "It's glad to finally be able put a face to your name."

I frowned.

Liam. I have heard that name before.

"You're the mob doctor!" I blurted out, only to realise what exactly I had said. My face burned amber in a matter of seconds.