"Yeah, I just couldn't go back and see my friends looking at me and tearing me apart with their stares because I said no to help them win a case they're going to lose either way. I'd much rather be here in Kansas with you, Mom, and Dad."

"Agreed. I feel like California and Connecticut are very alike. Both competitive states," Kate nods.

"How is it in the North? I know this is your second year," I ask, shoving my mouth with shrimp.

"Cold in the winter, like Kansas. Hot in the summer, like Kansas. Basically nothing really has changed besides the fact that kids are so annoying here. I have a small group of friends I like though."

"Met any cute guys?" I question, wiggling my eyebrows.

She gives me a weird glance, "Pervert."

"How am I being a pervert?" I retort.

"You really wanna know about my love life?"

"You have one?" I joke.

She slaps my thigh with the back of her hand.

"Hoe bag."

I laugh, "C'mon spill."

She sighs, "I have a boyfriend."

"No fucking way," My jaw drops, "—Does Mom and Dad know?" I question, shocked.

"No, so don't say a fucking word you twat."

"I won't but like how long have you guys been together?"

"Just a few weeks. He's an older guy, but is working to become a surgeon. He visited my friend who is his sister just recently and I think it was just love at first sight," She smiles lightly to herself.

"Love at first sight? Sounds cliche," I joke.

She rolls her eyes, "It was romantic. He was just visiting his sister and parents for family business or something. He is currently living in California but he said that after his internship is over, he's going to move back to Connecticut so we could be together. As of now, it's long distance but I couldn't be happier. I'll go visit him and you in LA, aw you'll get to meet him! You'll love him, he's so smart and—"

"Okay, slow it down sister," I interrupt,
"-You're like rambling like a lovestruck puppy. You just met the guy and you're so... in love."

"That's what love does to people. New love, new perspective," She shrugs, happily.

"What's his name?" I ask.

"Kai Brooks."

I almost choked.

"HUH?"

I almost kissed this guy.
He almost hit me with his car.
He came to my friends' one million follower party.
I thought about a future with him.

He's up against my friends in a lawsuit.

"Oh fuck."

Kate eyes me weirdly, "I'm getting the feeling you know him."

"Like hell I know him. He ran over Sam! He is going against my friends in the fucking lawsuit, Katie. LAWSUIT," I holler.