fifty-one.

"We want you to be apart of our lawsuit against Kai Brooks."

"No."

Everyone's heads tilt in my direction, and I squeeze my eyes shut, cringing at my rudeness.

"No?" Mrs. Golbach asks with shock.

I wave my hands to clear myself, "No, I mean yes for no, so yes! O-okay, wait I'm sorry let me just make myself better to understand for you."

Sam's parents exchange some weird, confused looks at me.

"Okay, yes, please clarify..." Sam's Dad says.

I inhale and exhale, "Right, I'm sorry. I can't be apart of your lawsuit. Again, I'm sorry, Sam's one of my best friends but I just don't think it's right that I should be apart of such an action against Doctor Brooks."

Mrs. Golbach tilts her head, "What are you saying? Are you saying you're more in favor of Doctor Brooks than Sam?"

I rapidly shake my head no, "Of course not! I'm just saying that-"

"That you feel like you don't owe it to Sam for his accident?" Mr. Golbach accuses.

"NO! I didn't say that either, and I certainly do not feel that way! I just can't be on his side because-"

"Because you want to be on Doctor Brooks's side! You are bias to your doctor friend!" Mrs. Golbach interrupts again.

"Again, no. I am not bias, or on his side-"

"So you're on Sam's side?"

"NO!" I shout. "I'm on nobody's side. I am neutral. I wish to not be apart of this situation at all, I know that you're going to sue him for hitting Sam but you know that you don't have the real proof. Word of mouth is not going to help you! So what is the real purpose in having this lawsuit in the first place! It's just a waste of money!"

"How do you know that we don't have real proof besides word of mouth?" Mr. Golbach interrogates.

"Um, well, it was just the most logical assumption," I reply.

They nod their heads with suspicion.

Good job, Ash. Two thumbs up, you idiot.

The room goes quiet. A mouse could probably be heard at the dead silence. I start to fidget with my fingers and avoid all eye contact to everyone.

Mrs. Golbach quietly pipes up, "Do you like Doctor Brooks? Like... like-like?"

My eyes shoot wide and I frantically look around the room for answer, as if it was going to pop up from behind a fucking chair or something. At this point, I was at lost for words. Sam and Colby's pupils even were the size of the moon too, looking at me, thinking that it was true.

"Mom!" Sam whispers with embarrassment.

She shrugs innocently, "What?"

"NO. Of course not," I respond quickly.

I sensed Sam and Colby breathing a sigh of relief out of the corner of my eye.

"You sure?" Mr. Golbach asks.

"Yes, I'm sure! Why would you even ask that?" I exasperate, standing up.

Mrs. Golbach begins to say, "I just assumed, since you aren't on Sam's side-"

Until I cut her off, "Okay, I'm going to stop you there. I don't like-like Doctor Brooks, whatsoever. I don't feel right being caught in between. I also don't think you both have the right to pressure me into doing something so serious, that I wish to not be apart of."