Sixty-one ➵ S. H

Tuesday
Four days til the departure 
For the past couple of weeks, I've been working multiple, countless hours at the docks. If there was a world record for worst job in America, it would be this one. Considering it was winter time, it was always freezing like to negative zero degree.
It was the only job they were hiring, and I was in need of the money. It was overwhelmingly stressful, pertaining to the fact I had to learn to operate a forklift, which was hard to maneuver in the snow.
Why was I working there? Why did I continue to employ myself in such an discomforting environment?
Newsflash, it was the only job they were in need of hiring. Plus, I wanted to achieve at buying Christmas presents for my friends and family. Most of all, Jasmine.
I figured since I've been in love with this girl for the past few years, I was thinking of taking it to the next level.
Not that level.
I've been thinking about getting her a promise ring. A promise that we could cherish together til whenever. If we get married, it would be special. We could pass this on for generations, all depends on the future.
I arrived at her house on Sunday night, surprising her with a luxurious red rose.
"Thank you," she welcomed me with a kiss, the noticed I was shaking,"come inside, you're freezing!"
I closed the door behind me, expanding my nearly paralyzed arms around Jasmine, who was warmer than the steaming hot chocolate she had on the table for me. I took a small sip out of it, the chocolatey fragrance satisfying my nostrils. Just as I was casually sipping on the substance, she began adjusting off my winter coat.
"Jas, you don't have to do that." I persisted.
"No, Shawn, you're freezing and numb to the core. I've got this."
I wondered where her aunt was, as I noticed her presence wasn't here.
"Where's your aunt?"
Suddenly she comes flying down the stairs with a box of ornaments. I peered over to the sight of a dissembled Christmas tree, knowing we were decorating it. Jasmine's lips just lingered into a smile, excitement replacing her previous mellow mood.
I knew this was going to mean a lot to her.
She instantly went to go help her aunt, taking the box from her hands. I stood up, heaving a breath. I went to go help them as I seen the two klutzy girls struggle with maintaining a firm grasp on the boxes.
"Let me get that." I offered.
After setting each box down, including a box of rainbow Christmas lights, we began to set up the tree. It was a fake one instead of a hearty, jumbo one you get from the lots.
"Thanks for your help guys," Jasmine's aunt acknowledged, wiping fake sweat off her forehead,"I appreciate it a lot."
"My favorite time of the year." Jasmine clasped her hands together, gracefully thinking of the most celebrated holiday. She leaned a head on my shoulder, as she was sorting out the pieces. We separated them into groups, clinking them into the holes. By the time we finished that, it was time to decorate the tree. It was like layering the best parts of a cake. It was time to apply the lights on, the bulbs referencing to embers of a milky, white essence. Although the multicolored bulbs that transcended gallantly around the tree were also a sight, the white, almost transparent light appeared far more sophisticated when in tact with the Christmas tree. It's almost as if they were shooting stars, scattered on every piney texture. Instantly, the tree was calling out to us, to make a wish.
"It's looking pretty already," her aunt established in a fake, southern accent,"now it's time to put on the ornaments."
We searched through a couple boxes of ornaments, to find one where it was all matched together in a set. The colors were spheres coated with a rhinestone blue, and a diamond silver. They looked just like jewelry almost, except with ornaments.
Once we settled through that, Jasmine found a box with an assorted variety of ornaments. These were engraved in a special rarity, I could tell from the design and what some of them were. Especially this certain one I had found. It was the last ornament, intended or not, I could tell I was expecting it to happen. As Jasmine lifted it gently to her face, the splotch of golden in her eyes from the light shifting her attention to the ornament. It was one of those homemade ornaments you made with your mom as a craft, or in a classroom where the teachers taught you to be create this time of year. Preparing myself to comfort her, I carefully in open eyes watched her apply the one name for of her and her mom on one of the pines. What was significant about this moment, was the surrounding of the lights caused it to glow angelically.
The three of us sat in there in awe, taking a moment to remember her mom. I didn't even sustain a chance to meet the woman, and somehow I was memorializing her beautiful essence she portrayed in Jasmine's life. Hearing a gulp and seeing only but a single tear flow from her eyes, I held on to Jasmine. I wrapped an arm around her shoulder, engulfing her into my chest.
I murmured soft words of consolation only a grieving ear would want to listen to.
We didn't say much of anything nor her aunt. When I cuddled and coddled Jasmine, she was reaping of drowsiness. Persistent on letting her sleep, she caved in to the tired feeling. I covered her up in the midst of her blankets and comforters, making sure she gets a cozy night sleep.
I pecked a kiss on her cheek, preparing to leave her be. Seconds later, I bumped in to her aunt.
"Hey Shawn," she smiled warmly,"leaving so soon?"
She was one of those aunts who were fine with whatever you did, as long as you didn't get into trouble. Her aunt, she loved me. She treated me as if I was her own nephew.
"Yeah, I am. I gotta get going. I work on the docs at 5:00 in the morning."
She raised her eyebrows in astonishment.
"Seriously? Don't they know you're only a high school student?"
I shrugged, blunt. "Doesn't matter, they choose anyone to employ."
Aside from that, I enlisted myself to the midnight shift on the weekends so I could earn more cash; it was two hours more than the day shift. Plus, the more cash I had, the more I could spend. Hopefully with this upcoming Christmas vacation at Jasmine's, I could achieve at buying her a souvenir.
Drifting my mind off the financial circumstances, Jasmine's aunt spoke further more.
"Personally, I don't think they should be letting you work that much."
"I know, but I'd do anything for the money, anything  it takes when it comes to my friends, family, and Jas."
I informed her.
She gave me a sympathetic look, an expression that was easily interpreted. It read, "you're putting yourself through too much," look.
"I'm proud of you, Shawn, you're such a good kid. I'm glad Jasmine chose you as her boyfriend, you have no idea."
I smiled as courteously as to the secluded Jasmine who was snoozed like a dog in her bedroom.
"Thank you, it means a lot."
"It should, she's a very special girl, and deserves everything, that's why I'm about to ask you this," she proceeded, pausing for a short duration to ask me the question, "no matter what happens to you two, always be there for her and take care of her, even if you guys break up, just be there for her?"
What kind of a question was that?
"Yeah, of course, I promise, I've always been there for Jas and will never turn my back out on her," I promised, getting to ready to ask her aunt another question,"what's this about anyways? Is everything okay?"
"Yeah, everything's fine," she spoke, yet she was indefinite.
I raised my eyebrow. "You sure?"
She nodded vaguely, disregarding the conversation. What was she worried about? Was she hiding something important from me? If so, why was she not confessing? 
"I ought to be going then." I stated, hopefully making it change her mind.
"Alright, bye Shawn. Have a wonderful pre-Christmas celebration with your family and I'll see you Saturday."
"Thanks, see you Saturday."
During the drive home that night, my mind was pondering about the outlandish question Jasmine's aunt asked me. Out of nowhere, how could her aunt start asking me questions and not tell me? I swear, if it was just me-if I'm on the verging banks of hallucination-her tone was serious to me, not exactly an entertaining attitude. Whatever she's hiding, she best tell me sooner than later. If not, things could get worst if the secret doesn't spill out.
:::
Wednesday morning
All through out Turner's class, I slept during his leisures and lessons due to the fact I didn't get much sleep last night. Contributing factors were my parents frequent arguing and the question Jasmine's aunt didn't perceive to ask me. Plus, his lessons were usually boring. Cory was the same since he was tired.
We were sleeping peacefully like a butterfly spreading it's wings in a utter-filled moment until we unveiled our eyes to our biggest nightmare. Cory shook me only a little, informing me that both Feeny and Turner were presented among us.
"Oh no, now I don't know which class I slept through," I said dumbfounded. It was all I could make out.
"Mine, Hunter," Mr. Turner replied, "remember, 'The Road Not Taken?'A remarkable poem in which the poet tells us that we
make choices in life, and each choice puts us on a new road that can have a profound effect on our destinies."
"How does a poem about a guy on two roads have anything to do with our lives when we can't even drive yet?"
"Isn't he fun?" Mr. Turner looked at Mr. Feeny with a smile.
"I like to think of him as job security." Mr. Feeny replied, trying to be humorous, "Mr. Matthews, what was your last choice in your life?"
"Well, I did just get a job for Christmas break. I'm a gopher at Little Pauley's restaurant." Cory responded, proud of himself.
"And I got me this soft, cushy union job down on the docks. This year, I'll finally be able to buy nice presents for my friends and family." I added, exchanging a glance with Jasmine, who just smiled warmly at me. My eyes peered over to her petite hands that were crafted of porcelain, imagining the promise ring on her finger.
It would look beautiful.
"All right. I want you all to keep a journal of the choices you make over the next week. Then I want you to write a paper on the potential of those choices to change your life." Mr. Turner assigned. Can you hear me groaning?
"Mr. Turner, what if my choice is to not to do the assignment?"
Mr. Turner referred to Mr. Feeny for an instructive, elaborate punishment.
"You want this one George?"
"No, no. Your class. I get them after lunch." Mr. Feeny persisted. Oh boy, not another.
"Well, then you would get an "F," not get into college, spend your time hanging out at the local convenience store, waiting for them to bring in a new batch of lottery tickets." Mr. Turner informed, trying to scare me. My life already consisted of that anyways.
"And that would change my life how?" I ended the class discussion. The bell rang, dismissing us from class. On a positive note, at least we were starting our winter break tomorrow. I headed to Jasmine first thing, walking with her to her locker.
"Shawn, I think you should consider writing in a journal for the assignment, you know, write about the trip to my grandparents during break. Maybe you could write a poem." Jasmine suggested. I shrugged, not really caring if I get an F on it. All I cared about was accompanying her on vacation and spending time with her most of winter break.
"I don't know, maybe," I said nonchalantly,"all I care about right now is spending time with my baby girl all winter break."
"I love you so much."
She kissed me, concluding the conversation. On the way to our next class, I wrapped an arm around her waist, talking about the trip the entire time.
:::
Thursday morning
Another stressful morning at work. I decided to work the midnight shift since I could invest more hours. Even though it the job was overwhelmingly tiresome, the winds were blistering, and the energy particles were draining out of me, I had earned my first pay check.
Since I asked Cory to go shopping for Jasmine's promise ring, I headed to his house first thing as planned. I've been planning to get her something in her birthstone. I was also planning to get Cory a nice watch for Christmas. Two expensive presents, but it's worth it. What matters are the expressions formed across their faces delightfully and joyfully.
When I headed inside the Matthews house, I was grateful for the automatic warmness that spun around me.
"Shawn. A little breakfast?" Cory offered.
"Lunch. I'm on lunch." I replied.
"It's 8:30 in the morning." Cory pointed out, thinking I'd care for lunch that early.
"I've been working in the docks since 3 a. m. Do you know how cold it is at 3 a.
m?"
"Nippy?" He offered.
"Yeah. Nippy," I responded sarcastically,"do you want to watch me break my ear off?"
"Sit, darling. I'll make you some hot chocolate. I thought you said it was easy on the docks."
"Well, that's what it said in the brochure, So I show up this morning, and the wind-chill factor is, like, Jupiter, and I go up to the boss and say, 'oh, oh,oh' and he goes, 'Yeah, but you took the job.' And I go, 'oh,oh,oh'. " And he goes, 'That's nice. Christmas presents for your friends.' And I said, 'oh,oh,oh' and he goes, 'Oh, look.
Turkish freighter' And all of a sudden, in comes a Turkish freighter!" I explained, venting my entire morning to Cory.
"Unexpectedly?" He asked, as he was prepping the hot chocolate as promised.
"Out of the mist it came. That's my wonderful job, Cory, unloading the same Turkish freighter that brought in the outbreak monkey. Do you know something? If I go, you go!" I attacked Cory and he dodged, offended.
"Now you get no cocoa!" He disciplined me like a parent with their child.
"So, how's your job?" I asked him, realizing I was ranting about myself and not taking interest in his job.
"Well, it's tough. It's very tough, Shawn. It's brutal."
He was such a bad liar!
"You got a cushy job."
And that he did.
He was starting right after we look at the promise rings, and offered me to look at the 'cushy' job he was working at. It was Little Paulie's restaurant, a small, local Italian restaurant in town.
When we arrived at the jewelry store, there were so many rings to choose from.
"Gosh, I don't know what to choose," I admitted, running a hand through my hair and pulling it back so the strands were out of my face. This was an overbearing struggle to choose a ring. A ring.
"What about this one? Oh look, a butterfly is encrusted on it!" Cory pointed out, angelic and lighthearted.
In the world full of pure hatred and avid danger, he always surrounded himself with bursts of love and pictured himself to be so happy.
Sometimes I wish I had the guys spirit.
"No, it just doesn't scream Jasmine,"I disagreed, unsatisfied with the upcoming ones I was viewing. Nothing seemed to be standing out. Just as I was about to walk out with no promise ring, something glittery and shimmering caught my eye. I glanced over at the promise ring sets to find one with a heart shaped diamond that was small, yet encrusted  with many crystals.
"That's it, that's the one," I claimed, ready to establish a purchase.
"I'm sorry sir, but that set is on hold for someone." A man clarified with a French accent.
"I'll pay you all the money I have." I persisted, and automatically his expression changed into a considerate emotion. He was one of those rich jewelers that took just about anything.
"For how much?"
I shuffled counted my money, finding the amount. "$325."
"I'll take it!"
He handed me the set, and gracefully I gazed at the rings, studying them. Cory glanced over in awe, smiling.
"How sweet is that."
"She's going to love it Cor." I predicted. I knew she was going to, I just knew she would.
❤︎