Chapter 7-The Price of Diction

Zacznij od początku

She shrugged. "I seem to get worse by the year, failing more tests and make up tests. I've had a good few lectures and punishments, but since I don't really give a single shit, none of it ever really stuck."

"Well, hopefully we can do a little better than that this year." I pointed at Hiromasa. "He can help, too."

"Help what?" he asked.

"Tutor Saki," I said.

"I'd love to help." He grinned.

"Really?" She jerked her thumb in his direction. "The guy who signs his name to graffiti is going to help me study?"

"Shh!" Hiromasa waved his arms. "Not so loud."

"Actually, Hiromasa is weird that way. Common sense has never been his thing, but academically he's pretty good."

"Gee, thanks." He rolled his eyes. "Not sure whether to feel praised or insulted."

"You don't have to feel anything, because I'm not going to study," she said.

"Do you really want to get further behind? Why don't you just try it until the end of the semester?" I asked. "If it doesn't work, I won't say another word, and you can go back to doodling until you fail every single test if you want."

"Pass," she said, and walked past Hiromasa, making her way down the hall.

I walked in front of her, blocking her path. "There must be something I can do to get you to try. I'll do anything you want."

She sighed, tilted her head to the side and stood silently for a minute, probably considering the offer. A grin budded in the corners of her mouth and then blossomed into that smile of hers.

"Anything?" she asked.

I swallowed hard. Usually, when you say that to someone, it is understood that there are certain stipulations. The word anything doesn't actually mean anything. I should have chosen my words more carefully when making my offer, but it was too late to take it back.

"Anything," I answered.

She giggled. "Great. In that case, I have a special treat planned for Thursday."

"I don't suppose you'll tell me what it is?" I asked.

"Of course not." She grinned.

I sighed and hung my head.

"Excuse me?" Hiromasa put his hand up. "I'm not included in this deal, am I?"

"No," she called over her shoulder. "You're free to come along, but only Kaito is bound by contract." She smiled at me.

Lucky me.

"Are we going to my house to study, then?" I asked.

"How do I know you're going to keep your end of the deal?" she asked.

"I could ask you the same question," I said. "Consider it a partial payment, some now, some later."

"Alright, but you better not back out on me." She poked me in the nose.

I smiled. "I wouldn't dream of it. Come on, Hiromasa."

Whatever my "special treat" was going to be, I considered it worth it. Saki didn't technically have to be at school at all anymore. I still had no idea what had happened to her in the past, but she could have quit after junior high. The fact that she bothered to take and pass a high school entrance exam, or that she was still bothering to show up at all meant that she must still care deep down. However, I was worried if she didn't start to shape up, the teachers would continue to hassle her, and eventually she'd stop bothering to even come to school. This was a risk I couldn't take.