Chapter 19 - The 'sorry'

Start from the beginning

"Alright then, I'll only walk." He says and continues to walk away. With that, he turns and gives me an eye. "But you will still never catch up." 

His hands clenches tightly. "And that is one of the many things that makes you and I different." 

And with that, he goes off. I too, follow, accepting his challenge with open arms.  

But unexpectedly, his walking starts to quicken. His legs move in a faster pace, as to the point where he could overpass speed walking. Yet somehow, he was still considered walking?  

I find myself from walking, to jogging, and now I'm running through the building after him. Every step he took, is a about 5-10 running steps for me. I could already feel the wind start to whizz by me roughly, from the speed I'm going at.      

No more then a few seconds were we out of the construction site. I noticed now that we were headed out a new and different exit. What I didn’t expect was that there would be a huge parking lot just by the building. And also that it would be jammed packed with thrown cars, trucks and trailers. Through the first half, I was constantly steering around car trunks, cautiously walking over their heads and most importantly - making sure that there were none of 'them' were nearby. Even so, Remember was getting farther and farther from me at the minute. I was starting to lose sight of him. Soon enough, it would be his footsteps that I had to follow, and keep an ear on. Walking through a deserted land of a wide parking lot filled with vehicles was not the situation I'd expected. 

Once I get to a small opening, did I stop. I look around, seeing nothing but cars, briefcases some clothing and trash surrounding me. Now where did he go?  

From the corner of my eye, I catch something. A figure with a long figure on it's back walks under a series of vehicles. I quickly rush over there, only to stop and met a new challenge. 

A flipped car lays over a van and a trailer. It's hinges crushes the beige van's body, lying at a slight angle, with it's windows all shattered. between the two ground vehicles however, there left a gap, wide and tall enough for me to walk under it. 

My first impression is to go through the gap, but I hesitated to do so. The blue car was swaying somewhat, not looking so steady the way it was positioned. If at the wrong time, it could fall and crush me the second I was completely or even partially under it.  

I take a deep breath. If Remember was able to go though here, then I could too. His footsteps where growing farther, so I needed to hurry. With one hand shielding my head, I too bend over a bit, and walk under the car. I looked down to make sure the floor itself was stable.The ground has some grass and it wasn't too bumpy. There is no random piece of rock or anything for me to trip over, like those scenes in those horror movies; where you'd see a character trip over something. 

I'm still in good shape when I reach the other side. But, not for long. The second I was out, the sunlight is the first thing that hits me. I look up and -'Bang!'  

My forehead hits one of its side mirrors. A split second of pain is felt, and I cringed. My eyes started to water. I crouched down low, reach up with both my hands to cover the bump that would soon form there. It hurts.    

"You're okay Rima. You're okay Rima....." I tell myself over and over again, as I slowly massaged the injured spot. Yep, a bump definitely was growing there. 

Once the pounding subsided, I was strong enough to get back to my feet. But once I got up, something snaps. My foot steps over a twig by accident.  

And that is the only sound I hear now. That, and the distant ringing noises of cicadas. I couldn't see Remember, no longer hear his footsteps. Now I was truly lost and alone.