Chapter 19 - The 'sorry'

Start from the beginning

His eyes narrowed at me, which makes me nervous. My eyes are drawn to the floor. In the corner of my eyes, I can see him slowly come to realize what I had meant. "You're...sorry." 

I nodded. 

 "That's it?" 

"I-I also want you to forgive me," I added. "Please." 

"That's it?" 

I swallowed nervously. "Y-Yes."  

What more did he want from me? 

Remember takes another moment to think. Once he's finished though, he only faces away from me a few strands of hair covering his unseen eyes. He murmurs something to himself. And the next thing you know, he doesn't give me the response I had expected - not even close to what I hoped for. 

"That's all you have to say to me?" 

"H-huh?" 

"You saying 'sorry' to me...you think this will fix it." He asks louder. "Is saying just this 1 word suppose to fix everything?" 

"I-" 

He flashes me a stare, eyes enraged with darkness. "I don't see anything from this word 'sorry'. I don't feel anything, nothing is happening. How does this word help solve anything?!" 

He stomps on one foot, causing the ground to crack right beneath his right foot. The cracks stretch a little more then a foot, but it sure caused me to take one step back. I didn't know what to say to him now. 

I can hear his heavy breathing now. "Humans...are such evil beings. They can hurt things, hurt others so much...yet easily fix things with just a simple 'sorry'?! How is this possible?" 

"N-no, that's not true!" I say back quickly. "We can't always just say a simple 'sorry'! We also do other things to show that we're sorry too, like-" 

"But you're telling me that you're 'sorry' and that's it."  

I bite my lip. No, he got me there. I don't know what else I could possibly give him, especially at a time like this. With one last try, I speak up. "I-" 

"I hate you."  

I froze upon hearing that. It was those 3 words that came out from his mouth. It was aimed at me, hits me like a thousand needles, and all I am left here now, is to live with them. Remember hates me. He said it with no feeling, no hate or anger being put into the response. It sounded so empty, as empty as his face and expression most of the time yet - it hurts.  

The outer corners of my eyes starts to burn. My nose begins to grow stuffy, as well as the inside of my throat. But I hold it back. At that moment, everything around me goes to a stop. I no longer hear the crows and flies busily eating in the corner. The winds becomes more rough, as if attempting to push me to my senses. The entire building itself seemed to dim, and grow dark. A cloud has run in between the sun and us, leaving only it's shadow to cast over us. The second it moves out, Remember is already turned away from me. His red scarf swaying under the winds command. 

"I can kill you, if I wanted to." He stated. "But, I won't."  

And these were most likely the last words I'll ever hear from him again. Remember proceeded to walk away now, leaving me in the dust. 

"N-No.." I whimpered. "Wait, Remember-" 

"Wait?" He mocked. "For a slow being such as yourself?"

I frowned. Okay, that crossed the line. "Hey, I'm not slow. I can still follow you well, as long as your not leaping and running. I can't leap that high like you do. But I can still follow you well by running like before, if you'd Remember-"