The Oposite Color of the Red Poppy Flowers

tw: some slurs
______________

    There were two red poppy flowers sitting in a vase by the front door. They were wilting despite being fake and I always resented them for that.

    "Don't forget your lunch Allie." My mom pointed towards two rolled up paper bags on the table.

    "Mom, I have something to tell you." I balled up my fists and took in a deep breath.

    She stopped, arms full of bags because my sister and I were taking too long to get ready. Her eyebrows raised, obviously in a hurry. This wasn't the best time, but it was the only time I think I would be able to do this.

    "Are you feeling sick? Spit it out!" She breathed, a hint of annoyance on the edge of her tone.

    "Come on nerd." My older sister Janet, made a short appearance to shove me over playfully.

    She started out the door but then noticed how mortified I was and the fact the mom was still staring at me expectantly.

    "I need to tell you guys something." I repeated.

    "Can it wait? You're going to be late for school." My mom sighed.

    "It's really important."

    I followed them outside, just as the bus disappeared around the corner. My mom's shoulders slacked in frustration.

    "Just great, I guess I'm driving you girls today." She groaned, roughly yanking open the car door.

    "It has to do with that." I continued to try and speak over my mom's obviously annoyed aura and my sisters grunts of amusement as she pulled out her phone. "If you guys would just listen to me for a second."

    Mom turned the key and strayed the car. "It has to do with what? Driving you?"

    "No, with girls."

    "I knew you were gay!" My sister yelled, effectively scaring me.

    "You're gay?" Mom me shot a concerned look.

    "Just wait till all my friends hear about this." Janet snorted like a pig before whooping out her phone.

    "I'm not gay." I hissed angrily. "None of you are listening."

    "Oh, you are such a lesbian." My sister rolled her eyes.

     "Allie never said she was a lesbian." Mom shot back, deeply disturbed by how funny Janet thought this was.

    "But she totally is mom, how can you not see it? She's definitely the dyke of the family." Janet rolled her eyes and pursed her dark blue, lipstick-covered, lips.

    "No one in my family is a lesbian." Mom retorted. "It's too early for this."

    Janet turned around from the front seat, eyes wide like some sort of predator. "So when are you going to get a girlfriend? I've got some guy friends who would love to watch-"

    "Oh my God!" I screamed, effectively silencing them both. "I'm not a lesbian! I'm a boy!"

    The car was immediacy drenched in the heaviest of silences. I felt a knot form in the back of my throat and I swallowed roughly. I could feel their questions begging for to form. Maybe this was a bad idea.

    Finally, Janet let out a scoff. "You're...a tranny?"

    "You know you don't have to keep using every offensive word known to man." I grimaced and looked away, feeling her disapproval sting.