Phase 30 The Davis couple

Start from the beginning

"What?" Mrs Davis stumbled on her stance.

"I agreed to pay back all your son's loans and bring back his honour which he lost before his death. I'll get everything back." Amy threatened.

Jake pitied the woman who was crying on her knees, "Amy, why do we have to go to this extent? What's wrong with her having the child?"

"It's Mia. Do you think I'm playing here Noah? Get the child or you'll have loan sharks craving for your head. Which is better?" Amy felt she was becoming a lot generous.

Jake helped Mrs Davis to stand steadily on her feet and caressed the child's cheek with his thumb. "I haven't been a father in my life, but I know how it feels to be one. I took care of my niece for the past seven years and there was not a day where I thought she wasn't my child. You can trust Issac with me. I'll love him and protect him with everything I have. If you don't believe, you are free to come over to our place anytime and inquire your grandson's health."

The old woman was quite convinced by Jake's assurance. She gazed at her grandson's plump face to embed it in her mind. She pressed a soft kiss on Issac's forehead so as not to interrupt his slumber and passed him to Jake, who handled him precautiously like a delicate glass.

"I've packed him food for the return journey."The woman removed her shoulder bag and handed it to Amelia, "You are nowhere near to my Mia. She was selfless, but you are a perfect sadist."

"Really? I'm honoured. Not everyday I hear such endearments."

Mrs Davis squeezed Amy's hand, "Promise me you'll look after Issac just like his mother did."

"It lies in my priority what I do with the kid" Amy snatched the back and whirled around, starting on her way. Jake hurriedly made a bow to his pseudo mother and ran after Amy.

"Why were you so rude to the old woman?" proclaimed Jake.

"Pfft.. Rude? Have you already grown fond of your mother Noah?" Amy grumbled as she made long strides to the bus terminal.

"She could've taken good care of the kid. Even you didn't like the idea of parenting a child."

"Even now I don't. But if the boy was with the old hag, he would've ended up in an orphanage."

"What makes you think like that?" Jake cradled the kid to make him comfortable in his arms. Meanwhile Amy flagged a bus and climbed in. Jake followed her lead.

"Excuse me, does this bus stops at Thunder Bay?" Amy inquired the driver.

The driver scratched his head, "Am sorry Miss, ye are at Thunder Bay. Can ye be more particular on 'ere ye are goin, eh?"

"Oh, is it so? I think our destination lies at the Centennial park."

"You're in young lady. The first stop is yer destination. Five dollars please."

Amy turned back to Jake and flashed him a smile, "Noah honey, give the baby, I'll make him warm inside. Can you pay for the tickets?"

Involuntarily Jake heard himself say 'Sure' and give the child to Amy. He stepped in the bus, dropped a new five dollar Canadian bill and tore his ticket from the printer, still his eyes set on Amy grinning like a Cheshire cat, "Damn, why is she so cute while smiling?" he asked himself.

"Err..Cause ye love er?" The driver made a suggestive remark while starting the bus.

"You have no idea" Jake retorted and carried the bags into the bus.

Amy solemnly stared out of the window while skimming her fingers over the baby's raven black hair. Issac unconsciously was more comfortable with Amelia and snuggled up against her. Jake slumped loudly on the bus seat to invoke his omnipotent presence.