Chapter 39: Panic

Start from the beginning

“Rina…” Mami said cautiously as she took a few careful steps towards Rina. “Who is on the other end of that phone? Who is Omar? You need to tell me so we can figure this out.”

“No!” Rina said assertively as she shook her head hard. “Tomomi needs to tell me her address.”

“Rina, why--” Tomomi began but quickly cut off her own words when Mami sent her a harsh glare. She whimpered pitifully, slinking back a few steps and clutching her arms against her chest, rolling her fingers over each other.

“Tomomi isn’t going to tell you anything until you answer my questions,” Mami told the youngest girl in an even harsher tone. “Either hang up the phone so we can talk or tell me right now who the hell is on the other end of that receiver and why you called them. Why are you crying? You need to answer me now.”

“Omar has-has connections to the police. He can h-help Haruna. I know he can,” Rina managed to get out. She sniffled again, looking over at Mami. She was surprised when she saw how big Mami’s eyes had widened, the fear clear on her face.

“Rina… You… You called the police on Haruna?” Mami mumbled. Tomomi furrowed her eyebrows from where she stood behind Mami. The blonde had spoken too lowly; Tomomi hadn’t been able to hear her very clearly at all.

“Mami, I--”

“Do you have any idea what you’ve just done?!” Mami boomed in a much louder tone. She had switched to speaking so loudly so quickly that both Tomomi and Rina jumped from the sudden volume. Mami didn’t care nor did she notice their fear. She was feeling too many mixed emotions to notice anything going on around her.

She knew Rina meant well but she also knew Rina had no clue of the danger she had just put Haruna in. If the police went to Haruna’s house about the abuse, that would definitely alert Madoka that Haruna had certainly told someone. It would tell Madoka that Haruna had told someone big, even though she technically hadn’t. Mami might still not know everything about Haruna’s life but she knew enough to know that the police showing up would put Haruna into a world of hurt. One she might very well not come out of this time.

“Hang up the phone,” the blonde ordered in a harsh and rough tone. Rina didn’t react; she was frozen from the fear Mami’s sudden mood change had caused her. Mami growled lowly at the lack of response from Rina. “Hang up the goddamn phone!”

“No…” Rina murmured out weakly. Mami growled again. Her emotions controlled her as she marched forward, harshly ripping the phone out of Rina’s hand in a way that the brunette jumped from the sheer force Mami had used. She couldn’t remember Mami ever being this angry with her before, and she had made Mami angry plenty of times. This though… This was unheard of to Rina. She’d seen it with other people but never herself.

“Mami, why are you acting like this?” Tomomi jumped into the conversation.

“Just shut up, Tomomi!” Mami barked at her. “This doesn’t concern you.”

The blonde realized the phone was still connected and hurriedly pressed the end call button before locking the phone. She tossed it carelessly onto a desk in the living room, stepping in front of it when Rina made a movement to grab it. The brunette stopped when she saw Mami’s quick movements, her still tear-filled eyes peering into Mami’s own. She couldn’t tell if Mami’s eyes were angry or scared; they seemed to be a mixture of the two emotions.

“We need to have a talk,” Mami told the brunette. She glanced over at Tomomi, noticing that the naïve brunette was now practically cowering into a corner, if she had been near a corner. Her hands were held against her chest and her eyes were wide while her body shook from fear. Mami sighed softly, hanging her head. She hadn’t meant to scare Rina or Tomomi but the fear of what Madoka would do to Haruna for this had controlled her every action.