Chapter 18: Second Attempt

“Are you coming, Tomomi?”

Tomomi could hear the slight impatient tone in Hinako’s words and she didn’t really blame her for it. Hinako had been very patient with Tomomi, waiting kindly as Tomomi attempted to work up the nerve to so much as even begin Haruna’s “job” that she had assigned Hinako and Tomomi. The brunette didn’t know how many minutes had passed but she knew it was more than just a few; the two girls had to have been waiting around for at least ten minutes now for Tomomi to work some courage up in her.

Tomomi’s mind wasn’t on this job at all; her mind was completely on how she was going to face the other girls after yesterday’s encounter with Hana. She especially didn’t know how she was going to face Mami after yesterday’s text messages. Once she had calmed down, she re-read her last message to Mami. As she read it, she could only stare at it in horror.

There was no way she could have made it more obvious that something was wrong with her and she knew right then that Mami was going to question it. Mami was too nosey not to question it. She had been avoiding Mami since that realization, unsure of how she would answer her questions. But she couldn’t avoid Mami forever, she was bound to see the blonde after she and Hinako completed this job.

“This’ll be a lot simpler than the first time. Trust me; you’ve got me here. Nothing is going to go wrong,” Hinako attempted to reassure her after Tomomi had stayed silent She could hear Tomomi release a sigh from her, one that she’d been clearly holding in.

“How do you know that?” Tomomi asked her honestly. She saw Hinako give her a small smile, slinging an arm over her shoulder and pulling the two girls close together.

“Because I never fail,” Hinako said in a matter-of-fact tone. She let her arm drop from around Tomomi, the slightly older brunette stepping away from the black haired teenager beside her. “Everyone here has something they’re an expert at, this happens to be my area.”

“W-what do you mean?” Tomomi squeaked out. She looked at the smiling Hinako with wide eyes, almost scared of what the answer would be. There were these questions that seemed like they would have odd answers from the odd group of girls.

“It’s just as it sounds, Tomomi. We all have our talents; we all have things that we’re good at. This is what I’m good at. I’ve never been caught and I’ve never failed. That’s probably why Haruna sent you here with me; she knows I’ll train you well. You don’t have anything to worry about; I’ve got it all under control.”

Tomomi sucked in a sharp breath, her body tensing as the two girls locked eyes. Hinako sounded so sure of herself that the two of them would be able to pull this off with no problem. The brunette had to admit that she thought this would be easier and maybe she wouldn’t have to do anything at all. If Hinako was as good as she claims she is then maybe she wouldn’t need Tomomi’s help at all.

“I think I’m ready,” Tomomi finally said softly. Hinako seemed to perk up at the answer from the brunette. She pushed herself out of the chair she’d been sitting no, beckoning for Tomomi to stand up to. The brunette pushed herself up much slower before the girls set off, making their way across the street and over to the store.

“Just follow my lead,” Hinako told her just before the two girls entered. Tomomi nodded, making sure to stay as close as she could to Hinako as the two girls made their way through the small store.

Tomomi’s eyes flicked over to the clerk, the young lady leaned against the counter and flipped through a magazine with a bored look on her face. The girls were in another store similar to the one Haruna had sent her into the first time, except that this one didn’t specialize in only jewelry. It was a gift store, the shelves being lines with things such as snowglobes and small sculptures.