Chapter 6: Confrontations

There's a content warning for this chapter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rina hummed a soft tune to herself as she stuck her hands under the cold water running from the faucet, her eyes gazing intently at the clear droplets that landed on the pale skin of her hands. Her eyes slowly moved up her now exposed arms as her long sleeves were rolled up to her elbows. Rina always made sure to wear the winter uniform, the summer one revealed too much. Her eyes looked over every scar that littered her arms, the nasty markings standing out on her once flawless skin. It had been a few months since it happened and the wounds had healed nicely thanks to Yukako’s skills with medicine. But even the daughter of two esteemed doctors couldn’t make the scars magically disappear. They’d be there for years, taunting her with the memories.

She let out a soft sigh as she pulled her hands back, pushing the faucet handle down. She pushed herself away from the sink, grabbing a few paper towels from the dispenser as her mind wandered. This was why Rina hated being alone. Whenever she was alone, her mind wandered. It wandered to dark places, places she never wanted to go. When she was with someone, she was able to smile. She was able to be happy because she wanted to see other people happy. If she was sad, other people would be sad. And she didn’t want that. Rina was the type of person that would smile even when she wanted to cry. She was the type of person who wanted to always make people happy, it was her only want for the world. She didn’t ask for much, all she asked for was to keep her friends in her life and to be able to stay happy.

As Rina heard the bathroom door creak open, she turned her back to it, finishing drying her hands and pulling her sleeves down again before throwing away the paper towels. Rina walked over to the wall where she had laid her bag, bending down to grab it. She was becoming a bit confused. She knew she had heard the door open, but she didn’t hear any footsteps follow it. Whoever had come in wasn’t moving, she’d been able to realize that but what she didn’t realize was why. Rina wrapped a hand around the handle of her bag, gripping it tightly as she pushed herself into a standing position again, slowly turning to face whoever stood behind her.

“Hi, Rina.” The young brunette jumped back, pressing her back against the white tiled wall. Her eyes widened as she stared at the three students standing behind her, the one in the middle with a devilish smirk on her face. “It’s been a while since we could be alone together.”

“W-what are you doing here?” Rina murmured, her body beginning to shake. The student in the middle chuckled softly, running a hand through her long black hair. The girl’s name was Hana, and Rina knew her all too well. The scars on Rina’s arm began to burn as she recounted the memories she had of the senior. Standing to Hana’s left was one of her friends. She stood, leaned against the wall, her black hair tied up into a tight ponytail as she stared intensely at Rina. On Hana’s right stood her other friend, her arms crossed over her chest with a playful smile on her face. The girl’s bright orange hair fell straight, cascading over her shoulders, her long bangs being swept to the side.

“I just want to talk.” Rina shook her head. That was a lie. Hana didn’t want to talk to Rina, Hana wanted to “play”. Just like last time. Rina tried to back farther away but only managed to slam harder into the wall she was trapped by.

“Haruna wouldn’t like that,” Rina said, trying her best to sound confident but failing at it miserably. Hana could hurt her, but Haruna would protect her. She’d get revenge and make her pay for it. The black haired senior had to find that one out the hard way before; Haruna had sent the older girl to the hospital the last time she came near Rina.

“I don’t care what that wench would like,” Hana sneered, stepping closer to Rina. The youngest brunette side-stepped to the left, trying her best to stay as far away from the threatening girl as she could. “Haruna and I need to have a little talk anyway, and what better way to do that than going through you? She’ll listen if I send the message through you.”