Chapter 9: First Lessons

“Hit me.”

Tomomi shook her head violently, her hair flailing wildly around as her legs backed her up. She felt herself crash against the chain link, finding herself now trapped between that fence and her “teacher”. This was probably the worst spot for Tomomi to be trapped in. Her pleading eyes looked up at Mami, the blonde standing just in front of her with her hands on her hips. She saw Mami let out a small laugh, shaking her head to go with it.

“I need to see how hard you can hit if we’re going to teach you. If you can’t hit hard then this will all be useless. So hit me and show me what you’ve got.”

“I don’t want to…” Tomomi squeaked out.

She could hear the snickering and whispering from Aina and Yukako. The duo was sitting leaned up against the fence, watching the show that was unfolding in front of them. Both of the girls had placed bets on how long it would take Mami to lose it with Tomomi and so far, Aina was winning. Yukako didn’t think Mami would last ten minutes with Tomomi but as it stands, Tomomi and Mami had been at this for fifteen minutes… And they hadn’t made any progress. About the only progress they’d made was getting Tomomi backed into a corner. Mami had been chasing Tomomi around as the brunette did her best to get away from Mami until she found herself backed into this corner.

“Come on, Tomo. You can do it. Hit me!”

“I don’t want to!” Tomomi repeated her statement, only a bit louder and more forceful this time. Both Tomomi and Mami could hear the snickering duo slowly getting louder with their laughter. Mami was getting more annoyed at them than she was at Tomomi. She really didn’t need any more input from the peanut gallery back there. She was just glad Haruna was inside right now or else she would probably be even more annoyed, she could only imagine the snide comments Haruna would be making right now.

“If you won’t do it, then how will you show me your strength? Would you hit Yukako instead?”

“Hey!” Yukako shouted when she heard Mami’s comment. The blonde smirked at the shout; she always did enjoy messing with people. It was one of her favorite things to do.

“I don’t really want to hit anyone…”

“Tomomi, you’re learning to fight. It’s kind of essential that you hit someone,” Mami stated like it was completely obvious. And really, it kind of was. But this wasn’t Tomomi’s fault. She didn’t want to do these lessons; they were being forced onto her.

“Well this wasn’t my idea, now was it?” Tomomi countered her. Mami raised an eyebrow at Tomomi’s comment. So, she could use harsh tones but she refused to hit someone who giving her permission? Why did she have to be so difficult? It’s not like it was that much difference. One was just verbal while the other was physical.

“Fine, I guess we’ll just have to do this the hard way than…” Mami’s sentence trailed off as she took slow and small steps towards Tomomi. The brunette backed up further against the fence, as far back as she could go. She really didn’t like the way Mami was looking at her.

Tomomi could only stand still as she watched the blonde inch closer and closer. Mami stopped only inches in front of her, a smirk on her face. Tomomi didn’t have time to react before she felt Mami smack her upside the head. She forgot how hard Mami could hit, and this was when Mami probably wasn’t even trying to hit very hard.

“What did you do that for?!” Tomomi shrieked at the blonde. Mami took a few steps back, biting down on her lip to stifle the laugh that wanted to come out. That wasn’t the reaction Mami was trying to get from Tomomi, but Mami was still enjoying it. There was just something about Tomomi when she had reactions like that.