Chapter 25

Her curse mark

Her curse mark. Shit.

Darious slapped his hand over the back of Ava's neck. She welcomed his icy touch a hundred times over. It eased away the burn from having the plaster ripped off. But this was it. They were done for. There was no doubt Darious saw it.

He could only stare in complete shock, and search her eyes as if the answers could be seen with just a few glances. The memories of that day flooded into Ava's mind. Her eyes welled with tears, recalling how desperate she was to fix herself back then.

She remembered begging Marc for his help until he came up with this solution. How much it hurt. How the pain felt like needles stabbing at her veins—like a scorching sun burned her neck. How the hot humid air clung to her every breath. How it all happened in the forest by their home, on a night so dark, the moon slept soundly among the stars.

The memory was engraved so deep inside, and staring at Darious made it come back, full and alive. Through a shaky breath, she replaced his hand with hers.

Raz chuckled, slightly moaning through his words. "Mmm. Who knew ripping a plaster off would be a new personal turn on of mine. It sounds so erotic."

Whispers and glances escalated around them. A few stopped dancing to see what happened. Darious pushed Raz back. He stumbled into a group of people still dancing away, and before Ava could protest, they disappeared in the blink of an eye.

Darious left her alone. He just left her in the middle of the ballroom.

That son of a bitch. She couldn't believe this. She had to find them. Raz might have answers about her birth, and stupid Darious just took him away to do who knew what to him. She had to find them fast before Darious did something drastic.

Everyone was looking at her, watching her trembling hands, staring at the bloody pocket knife on the ground, asking her questions. She ran away, stumbled and knocked into people. They asked if she was okay and she ignored them. There was no time.

Ava made her way through the crowd unscathed and outside on the large terrain. Mika hid away in a dark corner, secluding himself from the rest of the extravaganza. He was casually sitting on the short brick wall, and although every fiber of her being wanted to run off, her heart said go to him. She had to stop fighting her demons on her own.

Mika looked up from the ground and stood. "Are you okay? You look panicked." He stepped closer. "What happened to your neck? Is the Black Rabbit here?"

He gently touched her fingers. She pulled away. "Not out here in the open. Come with me. I need to find Darious."

As fast as her flats could carry her, Ava left the terrain and entered the beautiful garden surrounding the ballroom. Couples walked by, holding hands, others whispering to their partner in secret. Mika followed behind every step of the way.

To blend in, she took his hand. He intertwined their fingers and she ignored the sudden urge to let him go. They searched through the bushes and winter flowers for Darious. He had to be out here somewhere.