Chapter 25:

I knocked softly on the door to the study before I walked in. My dad was sitting at his desk, working on something on his computer. My mother was on her cell phone; she was perched on the edge of the mahogany desk.

  I stood by the door waiting for them to notice me. They didn't.

  "So you're both finally home, huh?" I said, causing them to look up at me.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart," My father said in that soothing voice he uses when he wanted to persuade someone. "New York was hectic; when one issue was taken care of another one popped up."

My mother simply nodded her head in agreement when I turned my accusing eyes to her.

"It still would've been nice for you to call... let us know you were coming home." I sighed, taking a seat in one of the leather-bound chairs across from the desk. "Or to call us at all for that matter."

For the four weeks that they have been gone, they called me once; I don't even know if they talked to Tyler at all in that time.

"Like your father said, we were busy."

"You're always busy." I rolled my eyes. My mother's blue eyes darkened; I thought she was about to chide me, but I cut her off before she could. "Tyler said you both wanted to speak to me?"

  "Yes," Mom quickly glanced at dad before she continued. "Your father and I were notified by Alexandria Prep about your suspension."

  "And?" I raised an eyebrow, waiting for my mother's wrath to cut through me.

  "Your grades have been slipping, and you've been sent to detention twelve times in the last month! I- we- expect better from you, Rebecca. Don't you remember our plan?"

  I crossed my arms, glaring at the floor. I didn't dare look up into the eyes my mother passed down to my brother. Our plan is basically my mother's plan for my future: valedictorian of my class, Princeton, and then the family business.

  "I remember," I grumbled under my breath.

  I just don't care.

  "Good. So you will be returning to school Monday with a better attitude." Her tone left no more room for arguing. 

  "Yes, ma'am." It took every ounce of my will to not roll my eyes as I spoke.

My mother smiled, signaling I could leave. I stood up from the chair- happy to leave the stuffy atmosphere- and turned to walk out of the room when my dad's voice stopped me.

"Where have you been all day? You weren't here when we got home."

I turned around to face him and crossed my arms. "Out."

  "Out where?" Even through his smile I could tell he was starting to lose his patience.

I sighed, too tired to argue, and instinctively curled my fingertips around the ends of the sleeves on Axel's leather jacket.

"I was at my boyfriend's house."

"Boyfriend?" My father's face tensed. "Why is this the first time I'm hearing about this?"

"Maybe because you weren't around to tell?" I couldn't hold my snark back any longer.

His face fell with guilt. I felt a small twinge of guilt myself for saying that, but it was the truth. He wasn't here; neither of them were here- they never are. And when they are here it's like living with two ghosts.