21 | Lionel

It had been a rough few days of denial and fake happiness for Danielle who constantly hid behind her Foxxy persona to numb out how she was really doing and, since Sasha was too busy dwelling in all this new attention to notice, Lionel was the one who stepped in to talk to Danielle.

The two of them walked into the grocery store and Danielle couldn't help but breathe freely after once again feeling like she was being followed.

"Bitch, you need to calm down with all that coast checking. Who the fuck you owing?" Lionel got some hygiene wipes out of his bag to wipe down the handle of a shopping cart.

"Sorry," Danielle frowned.

"You almost had me pullin' out my pistol or some shit,"

Danielle didn't laugh at that joke so Lionel knew there was really a problem. He'd ask in due time.

"What are we here for, girl?"

"Basic stuff. I'm startin' to run low," Danielle ran her hand over her slicked back hair.

"We should get you some water to even out that breathing too."

Danielle rolled her eyes in response and began walking further into the store, starting off with the dairy aisle.

"You know anythin' 'bout Sasha's new man that's not really her man?" Danielle managed a smile as she loaded some milk into the cart.

Lionel laughed lightly. "Never seen him before but he's real good business to the club."

"Don't y'all find it weird though? Some rich guy just shows up from outta nowhere and makes it rain in Mystique?"

"Ain't nothin' weird about money, honey. Especially lots of it, okay?" Lionel flipped his imaginary long hair for dramatic effect.

Danielle smiled and continued down the aisle.

"You're sneakin' out the club a lot lately," Lionel noted.

"So?"

"That's unusual, Dani. Since I've known you, you been the loudest at times. Lately you're just quiet and in your own box."

Danielle rolled her eyes and picked up some butter to put into the cart.

"I hope it ain't cause Sasha's gettin' attention and you, not so much anymore."

"Really, Lionel? We're not 16, okay? I actually am happy for Sasha."

"You sure?"

"I happen to be going through shit, Lionel! Life ain't a popularity contest. I'm dealing with the most right now."

"There we go! Talk to me."

Danielle frowned and carried on to the next aisle.

"Dani, c'mon, honey," Lionel followed.

Danielle went to pick out some vegetables.

"Okay, I know that you might think of me as a bitch most times because of work, but we're friends regardless and Sasha ain't here right now so you've gotta talk to me. I'm here," Lionel said.

Danielle loaded her picks into the cart and took a deep breath before looking at Lionel.

He could see that something was really wrong. Danielle was on the brink of tears so he offered her a shoulder and wrapped his arms around her for comfort.

Danielle never thought she'd see the day she confided in Lionel but she was happy he was there for her. Maybe talking to Sasha would've been a bad idea anyway; Danielle didn't want to take anything away from the joy she was currently experiencing.