Chapter 3 - What kind of birthday present is that?

Valentino's POV

When I open my eyes, I see everything blurry. A mixture of voices, furiously entangled in one another, melts into a wild background noise, that's getting louder. I want to press my hands on my ears, but I can't. I'm too dazed and my body is numb.

Ah! St-stop! P-please! Who ... Where am I? What ... uh ... ha-happened?

My thoughts are lethargic. They simply don't want to flow smoothly through my head. While I was out, my brain must have been packed in cotton wool, which had been soaked with narcotics. I blink a few times and fight against the dizziness. It's horrible to be so helpless. Relief rushes through me as I win this fight, when I suddenly recognize the night blue ceiling of my room with the moon and stars that I painted on it. I also recognize the voices of my family that crystallize out of the wild dispute. A face attracts my attention at the edge of my field of vision. It's Thomas O'Brien, the doctor of our pack. I look at him. He sits next to me on the bed. His head is turned slightly away from me. Finally the dizziness subsides completely. At the same time an unendurable pain hits my entire body, like I have a terrible muscle ache.

"A-a-a-autsch", I moan and wish right away that my brain would be packed in the numbing cotton wool again, because I get a terrible headaches - either that or an invisible monster uses my head as a punching bag.

The doctor looks worried down at me with a forced smile that doesn't reach his eyes. Even though I'm reluctant to move my aching muscles, I press my hands on my forehead.

"He's with us again", announces Dr. O'Brien, ending the argument between my family members. Uncomfortable silence falls over the room. I like the middle aged doctor. He reminds me of Professor Dumbledore of the Harry Potter book series with his graying beard and the long hair, tied together in the back. Of course, he isn't as old as the headmaster of Hogwarts and he's much more muscular, but he could be Dumbledores younger self. He asks me concerned: "How are you, Valentino?" I want to sit up, but the torture chamber, which is my body, flares up immediately and makes it impossible for me to lift up my upper body.

"A-a-ah", I scream through clenched teeth. Right away I lay my throbbing head back on the pillow. I close my eyes and breathe deeply.

"Stay down, you little pest, and stop putting on a show", growls Damian. I didn't even know that he's here. Now I do and I wish I wouldn't. "You're probably not even sick, you drama queen!"

"Boy", shrieks Mother shocked beyond believe. "Why are you so mean to your little brother?" She doesn't let him answer, but demands instead: "Apologize to him or you're grounded!"

Damian laughs out load and spits verbally in front out of the woman that loves us: "Grounded? Really, Mum? Don't you rather want to send me to bed without dinner or spank my ass?"

"How dare you speak to your mother like that?", growls father in a deep demanding voice. I know what that means. He only uses this bone shaking voice when a werewolf of our pack has messed up and will get it big time.

Uh oh Bamm-Bamm is in trouble.

Immediately I regret having forced the thought through my irritated brain. If I had stuck a burning knife into my temple, it would certainly hurt less. I hold my breath to suppress a scream until the piercing pain fades to a throbbing.

"You will apologize and not only to Valentino, but also to your mother", demands the Alpha with force. "I'm tired of your behavior, son! Pull yourself together or you'll feel the consequences! Do you understand me?"

I can almost hear Damian grinding his teeth before responding through tense jaws: "Yes, Sir, I understand only too well!" I have the feeling that he wanted to say something else and I'm so glad for his own sake that he didn't.