Chapter 49: Beautiful

Start from the beginning

"I still won't be getting married," Senga announced and picked up the menu from the table.

"Time will tell." Meg laughed. "Now, do you want Double Chocolate or Turkish Delight?"

~

The door opened behind Meg, but she could tell by the change in Senga's attitude that someone unwelcome had walked into the shop.

"Morgana." The high imperial tone of Odile came from behind her. Meg schooled her emotions and turned to face the woman behind her with a blank face.

"M..Mother!" Senga dropped the spoon into the glass and stood up quickly, wiping her hands down her cloak. Her face went from flushed to very pale, but she didn't quite manage to hide the fear in her eyes.

Anger shot through Meg; how dare Odile treat her daughter in such a way that she would fear her.

"Morgana, you will come with me this instant."

Meg stood up quickly, struggling to put Clarity back into the baby carrier strapped to her front.

"But I... we're...." Senga looked at Meg, begging for help.

"We're shopping for Senga's school supplies. Perhaps you would care to join us here, Odile." Meg's tone was polite but extremely cold.

Odile looked at Meg as if she'd just crawled from under a stone.

"Her name is Morgana, and she will be coming with me." Odile raised one eyebrow at Senga and stepped back slightly to let the girl pass. Meg saw Senga take one step forward, and she reached out to grip her arm.

"You do not have to go anywhere, Senga," Meg said softly. "Sit back down and finish your ice-cream."

Senga wavered, the look on her face speaking clearly that she wanted to sit back down but she was afraid of her mother's reaction.

"You have no hold over her. She is my daughter, and she will do as I say."

The other people in the shop had become aware of the situation and were watching closely to see what would happen.

Meg was aware of the interest of the others, so she opened her purse and placed enough money on the table to cover the ice-cream and a tip. She cast a brief glance towards the waitress who nodded at her it was okay.

"Come on, Senga." Meg reached out her hand and was infinitely gratefully when Senga took her hand.

To leave the shop they would have to pass by Odile, and Meg could see that she was not going to move.

"We will return home," Meg spoke to Senga. "We can come back later."

Meg looked up at Odile, her face showing her grim determination. One hand gripped Senga's and her other clutched Clarity.

Odile narrowed her eyes at Meg before looking at Senga.

"We have much to talk about, Morgana. I do not wish to do this publicly. There are things you will wish to know." Her voice was cold, low and brooked no argument.

Meg felt Senga's hand tighten on hers, and her resolve to protect her strengthened.

"I already know mother," Senga whispered. "I've known for a long time and I do not care. There is nothing that I wish to talk about now."

Odile's face went white before she once more got a grip on her emotions. White with fury, she looked at Meg.

"I refuse to let you get away with this. I am quite sure Severus is behind this plan. If you think I am going to let Morgana stay with you with the potential she holds, you are very much mistaken. She is my daughter and I will not allow you to foil my plans for her." Odile stepped closer till her face was just inches from Meg's.