Betrayal

Ohas walked without really knowing where she was going, she just needed to be away from the temple. She wished she had somebody to talk to, to share her concerns or to just tell her that it is all in her head and there was nothing to worry about. In time she found herself walking through Bidar until she was outside the physician's office. She  had no real personal relationships with anyone outside the temple and Dr. Waterford was nice to her and Tanarah the other day. 

The doctor seemed to be a good man, maybe even someone she could trust and confide in. It was late but she could see that there was a lamp burning in the office. She knocked lightly and after a few moments she heard footsteps approaching the door.

"Yes can I help you," said Doctor Waterford. "Oh hi Priestess," he said cheerfully. "What can I do for you?" Before she could answer he added, "and how is that young lady doing, the one with new blue leg."

"You mean Tanarah, yes, she is why I am here,"  replied Ohas.

  Dr. Waterford put a cup of freshly brewed coffee on the small parlor table. "Cream, sugar," he offered.

"A little of both please," she responded.

While Ohas took a measured sip of the bitter brew Dr. Waterford said, "so why do I think you are here for more than just a consult."

"Well," Ohas started, "I was not sure who I could go to, I mean I do not know anyone outside of the temple."

Dr. Waterford replied, "you could have gone to Kate, she is a barmaid at the pub down the road, she is a good listener, or so they tell me,"  he said laughing at his own little joke. Not getting a response from the silent priestess, he added awkwardly, "but I guess you wouldn't know about her."

          Ohas set the cup on the table and looking down at her hands said, "there is something different about Tanarah, I don't know what it is, or for that matter even who she is."

     The Doctor thought for a moment, "she went through a very stressful experience. She lost a leg, a lot of blood, and her pulse was extremely weak, almost non-existent. I fully expected to see a dead priestess on that bed the next morning. Instead I wake to see her step out of the Goddesses hands, alive and walking on two legs."

     "I know," said Ohas, "it was a miracle, but there is something different, her voice, mannerisms ... and the Goddess."

"The Goddess, what about the Goddess?" Queried the Doctor who leaned into the table suddenly more attentive.

          Ohas sat back, cleared her throat, I should not be talking about Goddess Falaya in this way she thought, but I need to tell someone. "She is ah, acting peculiarly, she seems unsure, confused, even before she healed Tanarah and I am very concerned about her."

The Doctor was quiet for some time, he took a sip of his coffee, placed his hand on her wrist and in a comforting voice said, "look, why don't I come out to the temple, we can say I am checking up on your priestess and while I am there I will look at the Goddess as well."

    "Yes, yes I think that would help,"  said Ohas suddenly feeling better. 

"Excellent," replied Dr Waterford, "I will be out there at the temple mid afternoon, tomorrow. Now you can get me into the inner temple, right?"

"Yes, yes I can of course, thank you Doctor," she eagerly responded.

"My pleasure," he replied escorting Ohas to the front door. "Oh and Ohas, I think we need to be discreet about this. Let us keep the visit to ourselves for now."

"Yes Doctor, I think that wise," replied Ohas walking down the steps to the main street. Ohas felt as if a heavy weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Yes, she trusted Dr. Waterford to address the Goddess and Tanarah with her concerns, they would listen to him.