Discovery

Fayala had never forgotten what it was to be the young human girl she once was. Among the many gifts bestowed upon her by Mira was a cryptic brain that recorded and stored everything she experienced. It did so in a comprehensive and systematic fashion that allowed for total recall of her entire life.  She thought often of her mother and two sisters, Deyan, the village and the simple world she grew up in that changed so dramatically the day Mira appeared at the pond. She has been alive for over two centuries and though she does not know how long lived she may be, she will always know the past as though it happened yesterday.

While Immortality does provide one with a contented sense of permanency and perpetuity, it also bears its own consequences.  It was painful to watch her relatives, friends and in due course her beloved priestesses grow old and die. The passage of time would not wear away the familiarity of those faces so that eventually she found death less – disquieting.  

As the population grew requests that she attend ceremonial precisions, daily offerings and rituals increased. Fayala became fatigued and weary of the expectations and demands placed on her. The most difficult were the funeral rites she personally solemnized,  these responsibilities and others she would eventually bequeath to her priestesses.

Despite relinquishing much of her personal appearances to her subordinates, Mira understood the importance of making the occasional public appearance to reinforce the belief that she was their Goddess and her laws where to be followed and obeyed. At first she felt a somewhat hypocritical in portraying herself as an omnipotent being. She had chastised the Miorpeans, Mira in particular, for playing on the human intrinsic need for the divine as having an essential contribution in their lives. 

Despite her initial effort to downplay her deific role it came to be expected, even demanded of her. As her height and psychic power increased so did the expectancy of her having a dominant role in the lives of each and every human being.

_________________

The wedding ceromony was the third event  Fayala had officiated over today and she was feeling a need to refresh her energy core. She dismissed her servants and priestesses, retreated to the rear of the sanctum and pushed open the heavy doors that allowed her access to the mountain's cave system.   Reaching the end of the main tunnel she stepped out into bright sunlight and viewed her valley in all of its pristine splendor. She strolled leisurely along the well-worn path that would take her down to the lake. The valley was cool and the sky clear except for a stray cloud, here everything was as the alien terraformers had planned.

Despite her height, here the trees towered above her, the grasses and other foliage were ankle to waist high and the lake itself was wide and deep enough for her to immerse her entire body in.  She stepped out onto a large flat stony outcrop that provided her favorite view of the valley. She shed her outer garment allowing her nude body to absorb the life giving nourishment of the sun. Feeling refreshed and energized she sat cross legged, her hands lay softly on her knees, her eyes closed, her breathing slow and deep.

Fayala listened to the sounds of the valley, quieting, relaxing.  Her breathing slowed as she moved into a deep meditative state.  She blended the valley sounds into a soft chorus of color and harmonic melodies. Her mind and body were clear and tranquil. It was not long before she felt the soft mental quiver that proceeded what she knew as spirit travel.

The first time Fayala left her body was as terrifying an experience as she had ever known.  She was deep into her meditative state when suddenly she found herself formless and weightless, slowly drifting away out over the lake. An intense desire to be in her living body drew her back at which she awoke with a gasp.  With practice she mastered her new found ability and would often leave her body to explore the lake and hills around her valley.

She expanded her spiritual travels to include her own inner sanctum where she discovered another unique ability. She realized that humans were completely unaware of her disembodied presence. She could listen and observe her servants and priestesses without fear of detection. Then one day a young servant girl running haphazardly through the temple came into direct contact with Fayala's ethereal form. Her conscious was drawn into the girl, her essence filled the girls body and slipped into her mind where she took complete control of her.

Fayala was suddenly in complete control of the girls body, she saw through her eyes, felt with her hands and experienced the world as she once had. The girl was there, asleep buried deep in her own subconscious.  Unfortunately Fayala's first experience at being temporarily human was to receive a stern scolding from a temple Priestess for the girls unruly antics. She would spend the afternoon on her hands and knees scrubbing the floors of her own inner sanctum as punishment. She found the experience humbling yet physically invigorating. 

Today however, Fayala allowed her spiritual essence to float on the wind, she was weightless with no want, and no desire, her mind was truly calm, to act without thought, to be without knowing, Fayala's consciousness  had never been more open and receptive ...  

   Suddenly she felt that she was not alone, she could sense a presence, not external of her existing spiritual form, but from within her, she focused on the source and inexplicably heard a familiar voice.

"Hello my little sister."