12.

"Are you seriously doing homework?" Piper asked, taking a seat at the lunch table.

"We're going over almost all of the big musical numbers in the show and I know I'll be exhausted by the time its all over so I'm just doing as much as I can now," I replied while finishing off a Physics worksheet.

"Does anyone know when we're learning the choreography for 'Beauty and the Beast'?" Hazel asked. "Because I need the music perfect by then."

"A week from now, so next Wednesday," Percy responded almost immediately, earning a smirk from Leo. I heard Leo mutter something I couldn't make out and instantly Percy raised his blue lunchbox and smacked him over the head with it.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion and I turned to a fresh Calculus worksheet. What had Leo just said?

"Okay everyone, my mom said we could stay in the cabin next weekend." Frank, Leo, and Jason cheered at Percy's announcement while Hazel, Piper, and I stared in confusion.

"Cabin?" Piper questioned.

"We all drive to Percy's family cabin in Montauk in April when we're nearing the performances in May and spend the night there," Frank explained. "You girls are definitely coming this year."

"I looked at the weather for that weekend and it's supposed to be over 80 degrees." Jason pumped his fist in the air. "It's going to be the nicest weekend in weeks."

While everyone excitedly discussed the prospect of spending the night at the cabin in Montauk, I fell back from the conversation and stayed quiet. I didn't want to become so excited to go then discover Friday or Saturday afternoon that my step-mother was home and drunk as ever. If I ever went somewhere without her permission or prior knowledge then I'd have hell to pay.

"Annabeth?" Percy asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. "You'll be able to come right?"

His gaze was hopeful and I hated the thought of disappointing him. "I don't know..."

"Please?" Piper pleaded. "It won't be any fun without you."

"Yeah, you're the life of the party Chase. Plus it'll be hilarious to see Per—"

I cut him off before he could finish. "Leo, I am a literal ball of stress and anxiety. That's definitely not a party."

Frank shrugged. "All high schoolers are balls of stress and anxiety."

"See Annabeth!" Leo responded.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought 'Screw Helen'. If I want to spend a weekend with my friends free of any sort of responsibility for the first time in months, then I will. I'd face consequences when I come home, but it'll just be the normal routine of insulting and beating the crap of me. Nothing I can't handle.

"You know what, screw it. I'm coming!" The table whooped loudly at my statement.

"That weekend just got 10x better." Percy grinned, his green eyes shining.

"For more reasons tha—"

"Valdez I will end you."

•••

"Annabeth, I need you ready in the wings for 'Belle'!" Apollo yelled through a microphone. "We're starting in two minutes!"

I had no idea why I was freaking out so much backstage. Maybe it was the fact that all my tech friends are working in the auditorium for the first time today, witnessing me perform in all these numbers. I almost wished I was back hiding up in the lighting booth. It was nice and dark and I barely had to socialize with people who didn't like me.

Most of the cast is nice enough. Since they've all been singing with each other for years in both choir and musical theatre, I'm a bit of an outsider to their family. The ensemble are all really sweet people, mainly a lot of freshman and sophomores. The only people who I didn't enjoy being around in the production are Kelli, Tammi, and Drew. What a shock there.

"You alright Wise Girl?" Percy appeared from behind me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "You looked extremely stressed for a run through."

"F-fine Percy," I replied, trying to even out my shaky breaths. Dear Lord, is this is what I'm like now then I am going to be a mess when I'm actually performing.

"Hey, if you're nervous just know Hazel, Piper, Leo, Frank, and I are going to be cheering you on backstage. Leo even has all your lines prepared just in case you can't go on." I stared up at Percy in confusion. "I'm not kidding you Leo is literally prepared to go on as Belle at any given moment."

A vivid image of Leo walking around in Belle's blue dress during the opening number passed through my mind and I shuddered. "Comforting."

Percy shrugged. "Just trying to help. Plus it's only a run through. Knowing you, your vocals will be perfect as usual."

Hearing the pianist play the opening notes, I quickly picked up my wicker basket from the ground. "That's my cue, see you in a bit Percy."

Two hours passed and by the end of it, I wanted to collapse on the floor in exhaustion. I had went through every single number I was apart of with full force, not letting the fact I was incredibly tired shine through. After Apollo finally finished with 'Be Our Guest' for the fifth time, I nearly passed out.

"Great rehearsal ladies and gentlemen! And now onto notes." The entire cast groaned at the thought of staying here another minute. "Hey, it'll only be another fifteen minutes then I'll set you all free."

Sighing, I planted myself in a seat next to an equally-tired Percy. "Can this rehearsal be over already?" Percy asked.

I didn't respond, instead leaning into his shoulder. Percy was warm and smelt of a mixture of fabric softener and the ocean. His arm wrapped around me and I moved closer. "Hopefully soon," I whispered eventually. My eyes fell close, unable to stay awake for any longer.

Percy quietly chuckled. "You always seem to be doing this Wise Girl."

"Shut up Seaweed Brain," I mumbled groggily, letting sleep take over.

"Aw, they're so cute!" Piper cooed quietly. I didn't even have the strength to tell her to shut up at this point.

Percy softly kissed my forehead. "I'll wake you up when rehearsal's over. Just sleep Annabeth."

I swear, this boy was finding new ways to make me fall in love with him every single day.

Wait, what? Did I just say I was falling in love with him?

I can't fall in love with Percy Jackson. No matter how handsome he is. No matter how much his smile makes me weak in the knees. No matter how many times he would off-handily touch or compliment me and make me scream internally. No matter how whenever I'm around him I just want to hold him forever. No matter how happy me makes me.

Shit. I think I am falling in love with him.

•••

Hey guys.

I swear my life keeps getting worse and worse. I'm constantly having to put on this happy face in order to please everyone but inside I'm just crying. None of my friends seem to care, and I'm just left to deal with all of this on my own.

I'm going to try my best to keep on writing, but it might just get crappier as it goes on.

See y'all at the next update.

- G ♥️