4.

I stepped into AP US History the following day, already dreading the hour to follow. It was just my luck this year to not have just Drew in this class, but Kelli and Tammi too. The trio have made my life living hell since freshmen year, and something tells me it's going to get 10x worse as the production goes on.

Well, Drew did tell me that "I'm dead" yesterday so I really don't think she's going to leave me alone. Speak of the devil...

"Hey Annie!" She called from her desk, which fortunately had to be just behind mine. "Is it true you slept with Apollo to get the lead? Because from what I heard yesterday you sure has hell didn't get that role because of your pipes - or should I say lack of."

My cheeks flushed. Refusing to say anything in reply, I just grit my teeth and sat down. Why the hell would she think I would sleep with Apollo? Everyone may say he's one of the most attractive teachers at Goode, but trust me that man's haikus alone to turn a girl off instantly. Plus Apollo is a teacher. Ew.

"Not denying it, huh?" I could almost hear Drew's smirk from where I was sitting. "Well I can't say I'm surprised, the biggest freaks always have the dirtiest secrets."

"I'm not a skank like you." I retorted, instantly regretting it.

"Oh you're gonna get it Annie." I felt a sharp-nailed hand clutch onto the back of my head through my curls, and push forward. I cried out as my forehead hit the wooden desk with an extreme amount of force. Raising my head and holding onto the front of my head in pain, I could hear the trio cackling with laughter behind me.

You may be wondering, why hasn't Drew gotten in trouble for this? Well, Mrs. Anderson—my History teacher—doesn't tend to show up to class until right when the bell rings, leaving a good amount of time for Drew, Kelli, and Tammi to torture me without a single consequence.

Oh how I just love my life.

"Hi class, sorry that I'm later than usual." Mrs. Anderson started, rushing into the room with a handbag in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. "Can everyone open their textbooks to page 367, we're going to continue right where we left off."

I quickly opened up my textbook, continuing to read the passages on the Civil War that I had left off on yesterday. A folded piece of paper suddenly hit the back of my neck, and I leaned over to pick it off the floor where it had fallen.

You know this show is mine Annie. You have no right to be singing Belle and to be kissing Percy Jackson, I do. If you don't quit now life is going to become living hell.

I sighed, crumpling up the note and stuffing it into the depths of my backpack. My life is already living hell, Drew.

•••

"Annabeth!" I heard Piper call. "Over here!"

Instead of our usual tiny table, Piper and Hazel have now opted to sit with Percy, Frank, Jason, and Leo. Since when did that happen?

"Frank and Jason invited us to sit here today with you, so we figured why not." Hazel explained, her grin suddenly falling. "Annabeth what happened to your forehead?"

I internally winced, my mind flashing back to that first period History class. When I checked in the bathroom mirror before second period I saw a wicked bruise beginning to form in the center of my forehead. It was probably worse now at lunch. The entire lunch table was now staring up at me, expecting an answer.

"Tripped." I replied simply. Percy's eyes narrowed in suspicion, but the rest of the group bought the excuse and continued on with their conversation.

"Piper!" Leo whined. "Can you please help me with my French accent?"

"No! I told you can't really help you." Piper defended.

"You've been speaking French since you were five." Leo blanched.

"I can't really teach French accents, I can only imitate them!"

Leo grumbled, digging into his bag of chips. Apollo was probably going to non-stop scream at him in rehearsal this afternoon for his lack of a French accent, so Leo better start learning.

"Hey Annabeth," Percy leaned over, whispering quietly. "That bruise really wasn't from tripping over, was it?"

I stared into his concern-filled eyes. I hated lying to everyone like this. "It was, Percy. Seriously, I'm fine."

Percy let the subject for the moment. My gaze drifted away from Percy and became focused on Drew's table in a far corner of the lunch room. Drew was in the middle of a hair flip and giggling at something Tammi said. She caught me staring and smirked, mouthing "You are nothing, Chase."

Percy followed the direction of my gaze until it landed on a sneering Drew Tanaka. "Annabeth—"

"Percy don't."

I knew Percy was staring right at me, but I refused to make eye contact. "I-I need to go to my locker to put away my textbooks." I stammered, bolting out of the cafeteria.

I speed-walked as fast as I could, reaching it in record time. Opening the door, I shoved all the textbooks from earlier classes inside. After I had slammed it back shut again I leaned my back against the cold metal, sinking down to the ground. Putting my head between my hands, I could feel a few tear drops run down my cheeks and fall onto the floor in below of me.

"Annabeth?" Someone quietly asked above me. Turning my head up, I could see Percy staring down at me with worry etched onto his face.

"I'm fine Percy, please just go." I stammered, refusing to make eye contact.

"Annabeth you're crying." Percy stated simply, planting himself right down next to me.

"No I'm not." I tried denying, even though it was no use. Percy could already see my red rimmed eyes, blotchy face, and the small amount of mascara I was wearing giving me raccoon eyes.

"How long has Drew been doing this to you?" Percy questioned, trying to make eye contact with me. I would continually dodge his glance though, knowing that if I caught one glimpse in his green eyes I would come collapsing down.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I denied, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear.

"God dammit Annabeth," Percy cupped my face and brought my head up so I was looking right into his vivid ocean eyes. "I heard Drew at rehearsal and I saw the way she looked at you at lunch, do you think I'm stupid? Annabeth, how long?"

"Since freshmen year." I whispered.

Percy signed, releasing his hand from my face. "Does anyone know?"

"Piper and Hazel know she teases me and they call her out on it constantly. But they don't know this extent."

We sat in silence for a while, but it wasn't an awkward silence. Percy had grabbed my hand and was drawing circles in my knuckles with his thumb, and it was oddly comforting. Leaning my head into his shoulder, I could feel my eyes watering and the tears come cascading down my face. I hadn't cried like this in a while. I was always one to constantly bottle my feelings up and wait for the occasional time where I could just let it all out and finally be control of how much I'm hurting.

"High school sucks." I whispered after a while.

"High school fucking sucks." Percy agreed.

•••

Well that was sad.

Also thank you all so much for the supportive comments on every chapter! I appreciate them so much :)

Drivers Ed is almost over and I'm so glad bc it's so much freaking stress !!!! kill me now !!!!

Love you all!

- G ♥️