1.

To make things perfectly clear, I was not planning on being this musical in the first place.

I was perfectly happy in the tech crew, thank you very much. Since freshman year, I loved whenever school put on plays or musicals since I'd be given the chance to work in the light booth with two of my friends Nico di Angelo and Will Solace (even though I always seem to walk in on them right as they're in a make out session). I was even more pumped for this production because Grover Underwood was finally the head stage manager.

But, of course, everything just had to be ruined. And it all happened in the span of less than a couple hours.

You what to know what happened this afternoon? Here, let me set the scene.

I was sitting beside my best friends Hazel and Piper, watching the auditions of Goode High's spring production of "Beauty and the Beast" unfold. I had only come along for two reason; One, to support Hazel and Piper as they audition. Two, it was encouraged by Apollo the director for the tech crew to come to auditions.

"Welcome everyone to auditions for Goode High's spring production of Beauty and the Beast!" Apollo started, greeted by applause from the audience. "This audition process is going to be a long one, so I hope you keep everything as efficient as possible. I'm going to have Grover go over the process."

Grover nodded and gave a big smile. "Hey guys." Grover started out, fidgeting with the hem of his Nature Conservatory shirt. "So I'm sure you all are super hyped to audition, so I'm going to make this quick. I'm going to have you come up one by one, state your name, and what vocal part you're singing, whether it be soprano, alto, tenor, or bass. I hope you all have your assigned sheet music for your vocal part, and if not there's spares in the front. When your up here after you sing we might ask you a few questions about your experience and what not, and after you all leave we'll choose the casting of the show. Cast list will be posted on Thursday. Now, who wants to go up first?"

A freshman girl went up first, and based on Apollo's face as she sang, I don't think she'll even make the ensemble.

"I really hope I get cast as Mrs. Potts," Hazel whispered beside me. "'Beauty and the Beast' is the greatest song of all time."

"I'm just hoping I get cast," Piper joked. "Although playing Babette would be a blast to play."

"You two will get cast. You're probably the greatest singers I know." I wasn't lying. Piper had a stunning soprano voice and Hazel had a sweet alto voice with an incredibly large range. They'd been in the musicals since middle school playing featured ensemble roles and occasionally leads (and singing in the choir along side that) but this year they were finally hoping to be cast in a named role.

"You really should be up there with us," Hazel squeezed my arm. "You're probably better than at least half the girls here."

"I told you, I don't sing in public places. You two are the only people to ever hear me sing, and I don't plan on singing in front of everyone else."

"But you play the piano and dance!" Piper protested.

"It's different!" I exclaimed quietly, trying not to draw the attention to us. "Singing makes me feel much more exposed. With dancing I'm always with a group. But when I sing, it's completely different. For Gods sake, I can barely even raise my hand in class without becoming a stuttering mess."

They let the subject drop after that, seeing that Hazel and Piper were up soon to audition. Hazel's hands were shaking so bad as she walked up to the stage, and her voice wobbled when Apollo first asked her name and vocal part. However, once she started singing "Beauty and the Beast", all nervousness seemed to fly out the window as Hazel sounded the best out of everyone who had auditioned so far. Piper was a lot more confident going up there, and sounded just as great singing her part.