I'm Sorry

CHLOE

I place my papers back inside the folder I had taken from my home office this morning. I forgot a few files that were underneath them. Luckily I had a back up on my laptop. My knuckles brush along the dark polished table that reminds me of the forest I used to go to hide away from people. Mainly my family.

I used to fly to Canada and hide in a large cabin surrounding a lake. The crystal blue water. The isolation. The calmness. Not needing to speak with anyone. Watching the landscape out your own window. Listening to the sounds the types of animals make in the daytime and night time.

I could really use a vacation.

I rise up on the balls of my feet in my heels. Allowing my team to leave to make their own way back to the office, I gave them an extra hour of lunch off as the meeting was intense. I'm not going to lie, I was a little impressed by how smooth things went. But also, how professional all the brothers were during the meeting. Ethan in particular. It was weird not hearing him making sexual comments or innuendos throughout. I was expecting a few.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

My phone vibrates pausing after each one telling me it's a message and not someone ringing me. I sigh reading the names.

Mom: Call me back Chloe! Don't you dare ignore me, fix this now or you can forget about coming down to see your father!
Liv: You're the fucking worst sister ever! My face is everywhere on the TV and magazines! This is all on you!
Kim: Why is Liv's face everywhere I look?!?! Call me!!
Mom: Chloe call me back! MINUS THE MILLERS PLEASE!!

"Lunch?" Hearing Ethan's voice pull me out of the messages I was reading. I look up to him briefly to see his gaze focused on me. I send him a tight smile to thank him but I'll decline.

"I have to do work. The company doesn't run by itself" laughing bitterly at my own words as I continue to put the sheets inside the folder into their assigned seats. I hear the footsteps near me as he walks around the table and two others follow behind. He rests his hand on top of mine pausing me for a few moments. I meet his eyes once more and see that sympathetic look I've been avoiding all my life. One that people give me when they know what I'm feeling inside. But it doesn't come close.

I don't need it.

"Just one lunch Chloe" he steps closer to me sliding his grip up my arm. I seal my eyes shut breathing in slowly and I see my phone buzz once more. His eyes focus on the lit screen on the dark table. Hearing him sigh as he reads the message. I quickly swipe my phone up off the table so he doesn't read any further. He already got an earful from them today. I didn't think they'd bring it all up. If anything, telling them I was with the Miller boys, I hoped it would do just the opposite.

"I can't Mr. Miller-"

"Ethan, Chloe. Call me Ethan" his soft tone catches me off guard and I slip my hand away from him. There's a catch. There always is when someone is trying to be nice to me. Everything comes with a catch. I've learned that growing up.

"Mr. Miller. Thank you for the offer but I must decline and get back to my office. I have limited time and a stack load of papers to get through today" I step away rushing to gather the remaining papers sprawled across the table. There seems to be a never ending supply of paper on the table thanks to me and my fast pace mind. I never clean as I go. I work in a mess, I always have and always will.

"Maybe we can catch up some other time?" Hearing the hopeful tone in his voice. I shake it off and slide my laptop into its case to put it inside my handbag.

"Depending on my schedu-"

"Chloe it's just one catch up. You work too much, I would know because you're a competitor...." I shrug my shoulders brushing off the comment. I work to keep my mind preoccupied. If I didn't I would be a total mess, mainly because I would have to see my family. That's not something I'm willing to do.