The Wedding - 2

How is this the last chapter already?!

The sound of the sweet melody being played on the piano hits my ears as me and Dad stand at the end of the altar. I grip the bouquet of white roses tighter and take a deep breath. I have never been this nervous, not even on the day of my first presentation.

"You ready?" Dad whispers and I look at his eyes.

"I don't know." I admit with my heart thudding louder than ever.

Dad chuckles and shakes his head.

"Let me tell you a secret. Everyone focuses on the bride, so its okay for you to get anxious but here's the secret. The groom is always feeling a hundred times worse than the bride. He has to look tall and confident and strong but no one understands that its the same for him as well. That he's nervous as well, that its okay for him to be nervous, you know. He may look all dressed up and handsome but no one knows how he's curling his toes in the shoes or how he's secretly trying to cover his shaking legs. Nathan is no different, Ally. He's just as excited and nervous, and you've given him a hard time already. That poor kid has done enough waiting. The only person that can calm the chaos inside him is you." I smile at him and he pats my head. I can see how he's the best business tycoons of all time, he really does know how to sell an idea.

"Are you ready?" He asks with a smile, his eyes crinkling around the corners.

"More than ever." I smile back and we both start our walk.

I can feel everyone's eyes on me, on my stained dress, but all my eyes can see is the man standing in front of me. And somehow, as we continue to walk towards him and I continue to look at him, I don't find his sexy smile, his charming dimples, his body shape or his brown hair enchanting me. Today, its just him, just an ordinary man who's made the most extraordinary efforts to keep me in his life; today its his brave heart that still stands at the end of the road for me to come and join him, even after I've shattered it a million times but he's put it back a trillion times more; today its the way his eyes smile the most satisfied smile, like everything he's ever wished for is here, like everything he ever wanted from life, he's finally getting it.

When we reach him, Dad puts my hand in his and he bows down to Dad. My heart warms at this small but thoughtful gesture of him. We look at each other for a few moments and then the sound of someone clearing their throat brings us out of our little bubble.

"Today, we are gathered here.." The ceremony starts but all my senses can register is the feeling of the warmth radiating from Nathan's hand as he holds mine tightly. I look at him and he looks down at me with a smile. And that kind of hits a rewind button somewhere in my mind, which triggers all of our past memories to come in front of me.

The time we first set eyes on each other in the cafeteria, our chemistry classes, the football date and then the real date, its like I can suddenly feel the fireflies from that night around us in this moment. I remember the day I swore to never see him again and then the time I saw him after years at the auction. The holiday and the crazy things it set in motion, everything.

And now, here we stand.

"Please repeat after me." We both turn to face each other and Nathan winks at me, making my heart dance. On some other day, I'd have wished for someone waking me up for this could be a dream, but not today. Today, I'd rather live in this dream, dream through the entirety of it so that when the morning comes, I'd know exactly where my heart is.

"I, Nathan Hale," The verses start and with each moment that passes, the thought that we're getting married, that the moment I've been waiting for since so long is finally taking shape, it makes adrenaline course through my veins.