Chapter Six

I spent all of Friday and Monday by myself at school, without having to speak to anyone. Blake and his friends haven't been paying me any attention — to my relief. Having people actively try to get my attention was something that I'm far from used to. It feels almost unsettling to have our people around me.

"Hey, Eva" a voice greets from behind him. I furrow my brows at the guy as he begins walking beside me "where are you off to?"

"Gym," I say simply, hugging my combat jacket.

"Me too" Blake smiles. "Gym class is segregated though... So you're probably in Jenny's class and have Mrs Madison"

"Mrs Madison?" My eyes widen in fear.

My mind goes back to name in bold that was written on my schedule. It was Mrs Madison, which means Jenny is in my class for the rest of the school year. I have a feeling that my plans to keep to myself and away from this clique will not be successful.

"Yeah...don't worry she's dope" he assures as he stops at the basketball courts "well this is my stop...See ya" Blake waves as walking away from me.

I smirk while watching him leave my sight. I'm not used to being around people like Blake. People like him don't last long in prison, after all.

I then enter the gymnasium, there I find around fifteen or twenty people getting ready for volleyball. I immediately spot Jenny wavying in my direction with a wide smile. I ignore her, walking in the opposite direction.

I hear her loud footsteps running towards me.

"Hey," Jenny greets me, "we're doing volleyball! Do you like volleyball? I love volleyball, do you know who else I love? Mrs Madison! She's the greatest, last year she gave me an A, God she's great"

Damn this chick's hyperactive. Did her mother consume a lot of caffeine when she was pregnant? People back home are a different breed, they're not so cheery about life. Most of the people I knew were dead or in prison.

***

Later that day, I sit at the back of class with my head down. I begin drawing overlapping circles on my notepad whilst Mr Daniels began talking about genetics or frogs or something.

I stand out like a sore thumb here. No one wants to sit next to me, which only makes me stick out even more. They look at me like I'm an outsider, and that's exactly how I feel. I take a deep breath as the classroom door swings open.

I narrow my eyes at the man that walks in with his letterman jacket.

"Christopher" Mr Daniels begins to scold.

"I'm sorry Mr Daniels" Chris starts "I was at practice"

"During my class? How convenient" Mr Daniels raises a brow.

"You can call coach if you'd like?" He smirks. "Though, I don't think I would bother. You know how busy he is"

The entire class fall silent as we watch their interaction. They're eyes are locked together as though they're having a game of chicken. Mr Daniels ponders for a moment as the entire class waits for his verdict.

"Just take a seat Christopher" he orders.

With that, Chris walks through the room and to my surprise, sits next to me. I furrow my brows at him in confusion. Why is he sitting next to me?

"Nice circles" he smiles casually before directing his attention to Mr Daniels who continues speaking to the class.

He sends a shiver down my spine. He's so confident. So smooth. I don't know why but I find that utterly terrifying.