Section III: The Resurrection - Chapter 20 • Mortal Wounds

Start from the beginning

Makes me wonder what ever came of him. Last I saw Beau, was the night my brother and I had a horrible fight, and Viona ended up crying on my shoulder, not his. I thank The Lord that I repaired things with Colton, or it could have been the last night I saw him, too.

The thought of leaving my brother on bad terms just eats me away. What if I never saw him again? Hell, we were on good terms when I disappeared, and it still has killed me for the last hundred years. It was a difficult choice I had to make, but for everyone's safety, it had to be done.

Bell slightly nudged me, muttering, "We're here."

I looked up to see a simple farm. This is definitely the work of my brother. He, like any smart man, figures no one would look for supernatural beings on a farm, in the middle of Holland.

The door creaked open, and a woman slowly came out, like a cat leaving her den. She studied me, her eyes welling up with tears. I heard her murmurer an 'oh my, God' before she ran up and wrapped her arms around me.

It was then, when I could smell her, that I knew it was Viona. She may look extremely different, but she will always smell of vanilla and sugar. I tightened my embrace around her, feeling tears kiss my eyes.

"Finch." She sobbed. "Oh, Finch."

I took her small hand into mine, intertwining our fingers as I whispered, "Shh, don't speak, just listen. My dear Viona, I'm sorry I ever left your side, but Angel, it was only to protect you. I promise, I will make up for lost time, starting with three words I've been waiting to say for a hundred years; I love you."

"I love you, too, Finch. I've missed you, I've needed you." Viona admitted.

"I know, I'm sorry." I sharply replied. Then, I pulled away a bit, wiping a tear from her eyes. "But, we all must make our sacrifices."

"Speaking of," Bell softly interrupted. "Beau split away from me. He... He said he'd be back, but I heard screaming, and, Viona, will he be okay?"

She ran her finger under her eye, then looked at me, as if I had the answer. "He's strong, stronger than most. I promise, he will return."

Guess good ol' Beau came back around after all. I never thought that lost soul of his would ever come home, but drifting must get old.

"Finch, I believe it's time you are reunited with you brother, once and for all." Viona said.

"I believe you're right." I replied, as my heart raced a million miles in my chest.

She lead me inside, where I saw an assortment of faces I didn't recognize. Suppose Colton has been busy growing his army. They were more than vampires though; there was everything, from werwolfs to sirens. Well, he always said we weren't alone, and I guess he was right.

As we went deeper into the house, I felt myself growing whole again. My brother and I have been apart so long, I wasn't even sure if we could fix the wounds left in our hearts.

Viona lead me to the basement, which was just as dusty as the rest of the house. It was creepy, too say the least. Surely my brother isn't here. She pulled me to an old storage shelf, where she pushed it back to reveal a passage way. A little cliché, but it works for me.

We soon entered what I presume to be the real hideout. This is more of what I expected from my brother; Elegant furniture, grand passageways, and of course, a Gothic decor. Viona's hand left mine as she signaled for me to wait.

Soon I heard my brother's voice, along with the distinct sound of the cane I crafted for him hitting the hardwoods.

"Babe, what's so important that you had to pull me out of bed?" He whined, typical Colton.