Section III: The Resurrection - Chapter 20 • Mortal Wounds

“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.” 

― Lauren Oliver, Delirium

1:20AM, April 6th, 2013

Undisclosed field, Netherlands, Holland

The sky was covered in a thick sheet of darkness, with beautiful stars sparkling like rhinstones on velvet. Seeing such a clear sky always reminded me of Viona. I sighed, pulling out my locket with her old photo in it. She had those gorgeous eyes, and she was wearing that silk dress. Not even my brother has seen that photo, considering for the time, it was very riskay.

Despite how racey she could be, Viona was always the picture of perfection. Her mind may drive her to some questionable chooses, but her heart is pure of good. It's unfortunate she rarely listens to that heart.

I felt the wind press against my skin as a wolf howled to the moon. If I don't reach shelter soon, I'll be his next meal.

1:50AM

There was more in these woods than a wolf. Hunters, they were everywhere. I tried to run without fear, but that was almost impossible. My fear was not of death, no. I dreaded never being able to see my brother and my angel again. I've come so close, I'm not about to give up.

As I heard the rustle of a bush, I quickly whipped around to block a hit from one, tossing him to the dirt. His body fell to the ground, enough of a distraction for me to get away.

The wind painfully hissed through my ears, forcing my head to start pounding. One of the many downfalls of super hearing is the agony in loud noises, and this wind would probably irritate normal ears. I tried to shake it off and kept going, until I ran into something, or rather, someone.

I pulled myself off the ground, preparing for a fight. Who else would I run into other than a hunter? Though, as I looked down, I was shocked to see an elf. Looking upon her, my heart stopped as I saw my family crest carved into the jewel of her necklace.

She groaned, looking up at me. "Colton, is that you?"

The pour thing couldn't see straight. Though, my brother and I could look one in the same if you were a little concussed.

"You know my brother?" I slightly gasped.

"Brother..." She wearily spoke to herself, then her eyes widened. "You're Colton's dead brother? Why are you alive? Oh my God, are you a zombie?"

The elf began to slightly hyperventilate. I leaned down, setting my hand on her back. "Calm down, Sweetie. I never died... It's a long story. The important part is, we need to get out of here."

"Oh, yeah." She replied as I helped her to her feet. "I'm Bell, by the way. I was just on my way to our safe house. You can come with, if you want. I mean, I'm pretty sure you would want to."

"Yes, of course. Let's just move quickly." I hastily urged as I could hear the hunters growing closer in the distance.

I'm sure we can lose them if we go fast enough. At least she's an elf, they're known for speed and agility. This one, however, seemed very frantic.

"Are you alright?" I whispered.

"Uh, yeah." Bell replied, lying straight through her teeth. "It's just... I was traveling with this guy, and we had to go our separate ways. Then there was some screaming, and I just kept running like he told me."

I provided her with a sympathetic smile, as I know the feeling of sacrifice. What she said, reminded me of Beau. He'd always act like he hated my brother and I, but when the time came, he'd put his life on the line for either of us. The most valiant part of it was, he never wanted to be acknowledge or praised for it. He just, did it.