Chapter 10 - Should I marry Siddharth

Aunt Aadhya and Uncle Samar were full of agony.

They teared up thinking about how their only son,Siddharth would recover from this rejection caused by none other than Alia.

That was not the only problem : The 1 thousand guests waiting outside was another baggage.

Indians are naturally highly protective of their reputation. An wealthy family like Siddharth's worked years in order to get the high status and reputation they currently hold. I shiver at the thought of facing the guests. Although Aunt Aadhya wasn't blood related to us, I shared a deep bond with her. She was not only my favourite aunty, but is like a second mother to me. I dreaded seeing them in pain.

"How will we face all these people now? Our reputation is tarnished!" Cried Uncle Samar

"Please go see Siddharth, Find him" Aunt Aadhya told Uncle Samar

Tick tick

Time was ticking, and the guests grew reckless, with some already judging their family.

I stand by the window, trying to distance myself from all the chaos. Aunt Aadhya was in tears, with my mother trying desperately to make her feel better. Esly, my sister, was also present in the room. She had no idea what had happened, but she continually asked me where Alia was.

"Nisha, come here dear" Asked Aunt Aadhya, who was now seated on one of the few chairs in the room.

"Don't worry too much Aunty, I'm sure everything will work out fine" I say

"Nisha, I need to ask you for a favour" She begins

"Yes, anything for you Aunty" I say.

I desperately wanted to help them, not for Siddharth, but for Uncle and Aunty.

"Nisha, you're such a bright young girl. You are like daughter to me. I can only ask you to do this for me" She asks

"Yes what is it" I question curiously

"Dear. I know you might not be prepared for this...."

"but..."

"I'd like you to marry Siddharth"

I covered my mouth, aghast at her daunting request.

Me marrying Siddharth? I was lost for words.

"Dear I know you say you dislike him, but you two get along so well" Mum encourages patting my back

My heart is thumping like a nearing train. My breathing gets faster as I listen to their request. I absolutely cannot marry Siddharth. He hates me! I hate him! I know that Aunty is in so much pain, but how can I marry Siddharth? My life would be ruined. All my hopes, dreams and aspirations would be thrown away if I marry him. Love is prerequisite in any marriage, but Siddharth and I don't even have that. How can we marry without love?

"A-Aunty... I cant" I sob

"Dear. Don't worry. Siddharth would understand. Please dear to this for us, our family" Requests Aunt Aadhya

I can hear my heart pounding like a drum.

"I promise we'll look after you as if you were our own daughter. Siddharth is a good boy, he'll look after you" Aunt Aadhya says

The words spin around my head like a tornado. This was too much for her to ask for.

"I-I'll be back. I need to moment" I mutter and run outside.

Outside it's serene, with fresh air filling my nostrils. It does make me feel better. I open my eyes praying that this was just a dream. But it wasn't. Within moments my mother finds me, and gives me a hug.

"Please do this for them, they have done so much for our family" Mum requests

"I can't mum. I hate him. My life will be ruined. Please don't make me do this" I protest

"Nisha, your father and I would be elated if you marry Siddharth. Just reminisnce your childhood memories, you two were inseperatable" Mum says with a smile.

That was a lie. Siddharth and I were, and still are mutual enemies.

"Mum....Don't like just to make me feel better" I cry. Tears begin forming in my eyes.

"Do you remember around 30 years ago, when your father lost his job, we suffered a major financial breakdown. I had to sell all my gold jewellry just to pay rent, eventually our landlord kicked us out. When we were homeless and suffering, Aadhya and Samar were the ones who stepped in and helped us. Samar gave your father a job and they helped us buy our first home. Because of them, we were able to raise you Nisha. Without their help, I don't know where we'd be " Mum explains caressing my hair

Aunt Aadhya and Uncle Samar immensely helped not only my family, but also me. They were always there for us, but never treated us like we were less than them. Our financial status never stood between our relationship with them. I did truly want to help them in their time of grief, but marrying Siddharth would tarnish my life.

"Nisha, please do this for us. They're a nice family, and the boy is good, so why can't you marry him" My mum says trying to persude me

"But this is my life, my future at stake" I sob

" Nisha, they'll treat you well. I'm happy with this alliance, so is your father. Just take a moment to decide" She says and walks off.

I sit on the bench in sorrow. I did want to make my parents proud, however there are two things in life which I have always wanted to decide myself.

My career and my husband.

I have become a teacher, the job I aspired to be. Now my marriage

Should I follow my dreams, but hurt my family. Or should I suffer but please them?

Hi Readers!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Will update soon. Please comment and vote. I love hearing from my readers.

Thanks for reading