Beck Mason

Submitted by: bitterseabear   

Reviewed by: thief_queen

--------------------

Fandom or Original Work: Original work

Name: Beck Mason
Honestly, I love his name. There's something about it. Maybe how simple it is...?

Age: around 15
Pretty good age, pretty common.

Plot: At the Mason Farm in small town Barrow, Maine, where Beck resides with his parents and his sister, Billie, everything is as easy as beating birds in a bucket, as his father would say. That is, until their sizable herd of sheep begins to dwindle steadily, every month or so. Beck hears the otherworldly howls at night, and they're certainly not from the Masons' Border collie. Something is taking those sheep, and it's not something that Barrow has ever seen before. Something that no one has ever seen before. And soon, that something's going to get tired of eating sheep—and Beck's determined to find it before it does.
AHHH YES PLEASE!

Race: a—slightly controversial, in their southern town, which still seems to be stuck in the past—mix of Caucasian and African American, on his father and mother's side, respectively.
I am so into this. I really love this character so far.

Background: As said in the plot, Beck was brought up on their—small—farm; he learned how to manage the substantial array of animals they had, but his main job was caring for the sheep, while his sister favored the pigs. Everyone on the farm pertained to their own "jobs", as things often went slow, although they'd pitch in and help whenever help was needed. He learned how to ride, and regularly races his sister on their horses, Jack—Beck's—and Ace. (These rides will add to the plot and discoveries later on, so they're sort of essential to the plot).
Ok, I'm glad you added that they were essential to the plot, because I definitely would have said something about that haha.

Extra Notes: His mother often babies him, shielding him from his father's criticism and comments when Beck fails to meet his expectations.
Ahh, a mama's boy.

Sexuality: Being a fifteen-year-old and having to manage the animals as well as schoolwork—his mother insisted on raising their children in public school to get a "proper" experience—doesn't leave much time to explore oneself, but Beck often has recurring doubts about his sexuality, in which he confides in his close friend, Toby Thompson.
I AM LIVING FOR THIS CHARACTER.

Significant Other: Not quite sure if I'm going to implement one here, but there might be some slight puppy love in the future.
Omg, yes.

Appearance: His complexion is darker than his sister's; he seemed to have gotten most of his mother's genes, which contributed to his curly, dark brown hair, with a minute tinge of red from his father's side. Beck has soft, fawn-like eyes, and stands at a slightly-shorter-than-average height.
I love him so much. But no physical imperfections? No scars from a work accident? Just a thought...

Distinguishing Features: His raggedy and often much too large hand-me-downs from his older brother, who—being the smartest in the family—had gone off to college three years prior to pursue better things, leaving behind his belongings. Beck also occasionally wears glasses, and without them, his vision is foggy but he often goes without when he's not reading or at school; he can't risk to break them (and they're already a bit roughed up) because his father wouldn't be able to pay for it.
Realistic, I like it.

Habits: Biting his lips when he's nervous or working until they're raw and/or bleeding, and talking to the animals in the stables.

Self-Confidence Level: Maybe a three or four out of ten; he doesn't live up to the high standards of his brother and his sister always teases him for his overly kind nature.
Aww poor thing.

Ruled by Logic or Emotion: Emotion.
Me too, bud.

Introvert or Extrovert: An ambivert; he feels comfortable around his friends—the sheep and the one and only Toby Thompson—but other than that, Beck doesn't really enjoy talking to people, because he can't really relate to them, and they can't, either.

Strengths: His father tried to teach him how to shoot a bow, once, and although he isn't that great at aiming, he could still probably hit something, but not accurately. He can, however, wield a small silver pocket knife his brother gave him way back when he still lived at the farm. Beck is good with animals, which is one of the reasons why he believes he has to kill whatever it is that's killing them; he cares for them as if they were his own (which, technically, they are).
I love the spark in this boy.

Weaknesses: Beck isn't school-smart, and he has a habit of rushing into things without first thinking of the consequences. He also is really bad at communicating with the kids at his school, which leads to awkward situations and messy feuds.
Me.

Extra Notes: Beck's relationship with his sister is an uncertain one; mostly, though, she acts as if he doesn't exist, for some unknown reason, like she's ashamed of her family. (Which is true; Billie—who's actually a protagonist whose point of view I will be writing in—hates the fact that she lives on a farm, and she hates the fact that her skin isn't like all the other girls in her class, and she hates the fact that she has to "prove" herself to them because, otherwise, she'd just be a dirty redneck livin' on a farm. However, character development and the events of the plot might just change her mind . . . ).
It's so sad that this is the most realistic thing, but I love that you added it in there. It adds so much quality to this book, I can already tell.

Constructive Criticism: Nothing much, besides maybe adding a physical flaw, even if it's small.

Intrigue: 96%