35~ the Improvised act (pt2)

I took a loud heavy stomp forward to silence them both

I took a loud heavy stomp forward to silence them both. "Enough of your babbling!" I roared like an angry Ryan and deepened my voice. "Have you forgotten that you are in the presence of a king? Give me the scarf or face the consequences of invoking my wrath." I dropped the bags from my shoulders to give me some more room to move and vaulted over to the servant. I stood as tall and broad as I could while puffing up my shoulders. I took short deliberate steps toward her while keeping my eyes looked on hers. She played along and took a step back to keep the distance between us.

"No, but I. I can't. This...this is mine now," she cried uncertainly. Her face conveyed genuine terror and as she backed up against the wall, she clutched the scarf to her chest as if it was the only she ever owned.

"If you do not release it to me now-" I clapped my shoe to the ground hard so it made an exaggerated stomping sound.

"Leave her alone, evil king! She is still my maiden, and you cannot harm her," a shout from behind came from the little girl who had just been betrayed.

I smirked and whipped around to glower at the green-eyed 12-year-old. She looked almost fearful and I could tell that she was fully invested. "You would defend the servant that just betrayed you? Even while she clutches the very object she stole like it is her own?"

I moved away from the thief and quickly began circling Kiara. I made sure to make every movement as swift and deliberate as possible so that it would look like I was nearly flying over the ground. I'd done this dance a dozen times and knew that the crowd wouldn't be able to focus on my legs enough to see them. It was perfect for the role of evil king.

Kiara didn't falter. The strength of her bloodline showing itself in her stance. She held her head up high and looked directly at her maiden. "Yes, I will protect her till my last breath!"

Julie's voice came in almost a sob from where she stood against the wall clutching that soft green scarf. "Princess, what are you saying?

"Yes princess, what are you saying?" I growled and sped up my moves around her a little.

"I will protect you, with everything I have, and more!" These weren't the words of a normal 12-year-old, but as I circled her I remembered that she was anything but a normal girl.

"But why? I lied to you and stole something precious to you! You should hate me, so why would you say that?" Julie pleaded for an answer.

Kiara did the last thing I expected, she smiled and closed her eyes. "It's because of who I am."

"Who are you?" I whispered loud enough for everyone to hear.

When she opened her eyes again, the brightness and intensity of her emerald gaze nearly made me miss my next glide. Instead of rising from her body awkwardly, steam radiated from her brown skin so faintly that it looked like a natural glow. "I am Kiara, daughter of Samson. I will protect you because it is in my blood!"

"But why me? Why don't you hate me?" Julie bawled, and I knew she'd summoned tears from the sound of her voice.

"Because you're more than just a hand maiden to me. Because I love you, and we protect the ones we love!" Kiara's voice was so strong that I couldn't focus on the dance anymore.

I came to a slow halt and fell to my feet in surrender. Julie ran to her princess and they came together in a tearful hug that had the crowd in an uproar. I didn't have to pretend that I was in awe, I was. Everything she said was probably the same thing that all of her siblings believed. That was how the Krags could stay so strong. I felt a pair of eyes burning into me and look to find it. crowds of tourists had gathered on multiple floors to see what all of the fuss was about. People were looking down and cheering for Kiara and Julie, but I noticed one pair of eyes staring at me from the opposite side of the floor above us. A pair bright amber eyes that had been protecting me for months now.

So I had to wonder: was it really just a job for him, or was there more to a Krag's protection.

OKAY, so at this point we're way into the second half of the book and I think it's pretty clear what it means to be a part of the Krag family. Which means I can finally ask you the most important question so far about this book:

What do you think of Ryan?

Does it feel like you know him pretty well and what he's all about? We've never really shown a chapter that was told from his direct perspective. Everything has been told from the eyes that watch him. I decided to try telling the story this way because I wanted it to feel like you're seeing him the way everyone else sees him. He's always being judged and portrayed as something grand or dangerous, but what do you think of him after seeing him from these angles? I really want to hear your thoughts, so go ahead and leave a comment below :)