25~ the Costly Breakthrough

This chapter gets a little intense toward the end~

"I was on the team of scientists that developed the incomplete formulas for both the white cord and black strand that the Taijitu uses for hypnosis. Even though the two compounds are incomplete while separate, they're still highly effective on their own. A fact that I'm sure you don't need me to verify."

Carman was genuinely stunned. "That shouldn't be possible. I have direct confirmation that you were a full-time employee of the Cane's research and development team," he said.

"So, what does that tell you about my bosses? I don't have time to spell this out for you, I'm putting my life at risk just by being here for so long."

"Mrs. Emeriti, I can understand your concern, but you are safe for now. Me and my brother are more than capable of handling any Helix thugs that come around," Ryan chimed in.

The scientist was not impressed. "I am not worried about the stupid oafs of the black half," she snapped. "Are you seriously telling me that the investigation team hasn't even uncovered the full size of the Helix yet?" she looked incredulous.

Carman and his brother stayed silent to let her continue.

"God help us all then! I'll probably be dead before I can get on my flight out of here if the airport security is just as useless."

"Then you might as well spend your last day spilling your secrets. If you're in as much danger as you say, then telling us what we're up against is the best option you have," Carman finally growled. He wasn't used to being patronized and it didn't inspire gentleness or compassion in him.

Emeriti sighed and sat back defeated. "They don't just call themselves the Helix Taijitu for kicks, Mr. Krag. The organization has two entirely different sides and is run by two faction leaders. A brute for the Yin half and a suit for the Yang.

"The black half is mainly filled by the thugs you've probably been rounding up until now. Their virtually useless to capture because they've been compelled to remember nothing when captured, and...their entirely expendable. There are mercenaries and ex-soldiers mixed in along the leader's private military force. I believe that the black's leader is the one you Krags have been keeping at bay so far.

"But that is only the simple half. While an organized gang is dangerous and all, I'm far more worried about the white half of the Tai. The leader is probably some wealthy executive somewhere on Honolulu. The white side is full of elitist with resources to kill and power to cover up their actions. They have spies and scientists all over the place. I worked for them for over a year without even understanding how far they reached into society.

"If I am spotted here, then all it takes is a quick call and I'll probably be in some sniper's scope before the end of it. Heck, they may even arrange a nice little 'accident' for me if they're being generous."

"Like they were to the Canes, I'm guessing." Ryan sounded somber with the new information sinking in.

"Bingo, Blondie. The formula for curing the compulsions is gone; died along with Janus and Ali at the bottom of the sea. You can fight them now, but it's only a matter of time before they complete the true serum and can create permanent compulsions."

Both Ryan and Carman went rigid.

"Yeah, they will be able to hypnotize people forever and there will be nothing to stop them." Emeriti seemed so resigned to her fate that she took off her hat and sunglasses, setting them on the table. She gazed at the brothers with such tired brown eyes that they knew how long she'd been on the run. They could imagine her sleepless nights filled with fear of a sniper or even a needle dripping with the drug she helped create.

"How are you so sure that the Canes didn't leave a copy of the formula somewhere?"

"Because I worked with Janus and Ali for years. I know what they were like. When I heard that the only survivor of the family's murder was killed in a gas explosion, I knew. I'm guessing you know as well that the Helix snuffed out Kyle Cane for that same reason. Once they got him, that was it. I'm only here to give you a fighting chance...because I know that's what the Krags do."

Ryan didn't hesitate. "Kyle Cane is not dead," he informed her.

All at once, Emeriti's exhaustion, fear, and grief took a back seat to shock. "What?" she gasped.

"I was there when they blew up the house, he's perfectly fine."

"Oh my god," she leaned forward and the boys could have sworn she was about to cry. "Then it's not over. If he's alive then we can still produce the cure."

Carman spoke up, "Not exactly. Kyle hasn't figured out where his parents hid the information yet."

Annoyance and impatience took over the scientist. "No you fool. He already has it. it's in—" her last words never came out.

For all their skill and power, the Krags often underestimated the people outside of their family. When they surveyed the scene, they were confident that their eyes had covered everything and every hiding space in the area.

But even a Krag couldn't see a sniper capable of firing from over a mile away on a windy afternoon.

Blood splattered from Emeriti's neck. A hole had been burned straight through, severing her lungs from her mouth. She was still alive for long enough to stare at the table dashed with her blood.

With her last moments, she didn't even cling to life and latch onto her throat like one would expect. She slipped her finger across her neck and then scribbled a single name with it while the brothers stared in shock. Kyle Cane

==============================

RIP Doctor Emeriti

==============================