13~ the Rapid Escape

It only took the time between 00:05 and 00:04 for him to react. He flicked the small package into the air, letting it dart toward the far window and started turning back. Ryan's foot connected with the door, shattering a hole in the center.

He ignored Kyle shouting for answers and dived through the hole with the boy clutched tightly. They rolled a few feet away just as the bomb detonated and an intense shockwave rattled the neighborhood.

Fortunately, it wasn't a massive explosion since the bomb itself was small. The rest of the homes on the block were completely undisturbed. "What the hell was that? Wasn't it a little girl who gave you that thing?" Kyle asked.

"Yeah. She must have been working for the Helix."

"A little girl working for that kind of gang, Rye? That's ridiculous," he gawked at the busted up door. The blast had been enough to knock the rest of it off the hinges.

"No, it makes sense. The white cord probably works on children as well as adults. Literally, anyone could end up working for the Helix if they use that drug on them. Not all of them will be wearing a giant spiral insignia on their chests. The real problem is how they found you here."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not exactly listed in the phone book, Kyle. Only a handful of officers and officials should know where I live. So-"

"So, either there's a mole in the police force, or we were followed back here," Kyle pieced together.

"Exactly. I'm thinking it was last night. Those guys from last night didn't seem right to me. Racism aside, they were too confident. That guy looked like he was shot in the face when you took his hands off. I'm not sure, but it feels like we missed something." Ryan decided it was safe to return inside, and grimaced when he saw the chaos the bomb had wreaked inside. It was nothing compared to the devastation at the Cane estate, but he'd still need new furniture.

"So this is all because I randomly dragged you outside last night?" Kyle asked solemnly.

Ryan didn't think his friend was serious, so he just rolled his eyes and started cleaning. He didn't see the glassy tears welling in the young man's black eyes or see the life slowly draining from his shoulders. He didn't know that the whole thing had hit much harder than it should have. Ryan didn't even notice when Kyle turned to walk out the doorway, stepping right over the shattered pieces of the painted wood.

A really short chapter, but necessary. The next chapter is significantly larger and I didn't want to cut it in half, so this is my compromise :)